more 66mhz or less 100mhz?

G

what would be better 192mb of ram at 66 mhz or 128 ant 100mhz? Thanx

G

I assume that if you're even considering 66 MHz. RAM, you've got some type of Celeron or older Pentium???? If so, it depends on what you're going to do with it in the future. Nothing except the Celeron runs at 66 MHz. anymore. I personally wouldn't buy any memory slower than 133 MHz. becasue at least you can use it with current and future 133 MHz. CPUs. Plus, you can always run it slower. On the other hand, I don't know what your budget is, so...

Mike

G

Whoops. I realized I didn't really try to answer your question. It depends on what you do with your PC. If you're not doing a lot of multitasking or graphics work, you probably won't notice much of a difference, if any. But if you do run a lot of programs at the same time or do graphics work, the more RAM the better. Also depends on your OS. In general, NT and Win2K want more RAM...or so I've read as I don't use either at home.

Mike

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
128MB PC100 is fine.
Maximum PC just did an article showing how anything between 128MB and 512MB doesn't really give much of a performance increase. So its either 128MB or 512MB, anything less than 128MB and you take a performance hit and anything in between 128 and 512 is a waste of money.

Of course this is all just according to the article.
I'm sure many people here will be quick to disagree.

G

3d-studio will steal 128mb before it's even ½-started
..Jbuilder requires 256Mb ram in windows

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First off what bus speed are you running at? pc-66 is fine if you are running at 66 mhz. You will get no performance increase using pc-100 if you are running a 66 mhz bus. (Unless of course the ns rating of the pc-100 is significantly faster). Most likely, you are better of running the 192 meg of pc66 no matter how fast your ram if you hit swap file you bogg and this is more likely with 128 then 192. i disagree with the statement that 128 meg of ram is enough I think 192 is closer to the minimum nowadays unless all you do is office apps and web browsing. Diablo 2 will chew up 128 in no time.

G

oh sorry im currently running an old p2 at 300mhz at 66mhz but im planning to upgrade to a duron with a 133mhz MB

G

Just a quick thought or two. Where I shop, PC133 and PC100 costs are virtually identical, making the choice between 66 and 133. Going by the age and speed of your processor, 128 mb is probably more than enough for the software that you are likely running. If you upgrade in the foreseeable future, consider this: that 128 would at best be enough, at worst be a good headstart for your Duron. But what would you do with that big pile of 66's, then?
The choice is yours, but the answer seems pretty clear.
Unless, of course, you start considering the DDR.....

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong, well I am not a big man!!!
But I would like to say I have been playing Crimson Skies with a 600 Duron, 128 MB PC133 Ram, and a Geforce 256 64MB DDR. It takes forever to load. The hard drive light is always on. So I put in 128MB more of PC100 Ram and now it works great. No waiting, the missions start right up and the computer hardly ever accesses the hard drive.
I think I will leave the 256MB in for now.

G

in that case I would recomend PC133 Ram it costs almost the same as PC100......

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sometimes, as in the case of this thread, things tend to drift a bit. But you asked which would be better in your system 128 meg of pc-100 or 192 of pc-66. In my opinion I would opt for the 192 of pc-66. Bear in mind that the key is "in your system" as you have a p2 running at 66 mhz fsb.
Now, reading between the lines here a bit, if you ae considering adding addtional ram to your existing system, you can still get pc-100 or pc-133 to coexist with your pc-66 and run fine. this way when and if you do upgrade to a duron the additional RAM you just bought it not a loss. Unfortuately you will not be able to use the pc-66 RAM you already posses.