Graphics Card Cooling System??

Youngwoony

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Hey guys,

So I've built my first gaming cpu, put together as you guys recommended. Its running great!

However, in the Rosewill challenger case and evga gtx570 superclocked, the card seems to produce lots of heat when gaming. Also, my monitor seems to get heated easily. So my questions are:

1) What's the best way to monitor the temperatures?
2) What do you think about a cooling unit, like: http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-SP-FC70-BL-Spectrum-System-Adjustable/dp/B000233ZMU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1312476570&sr=1-2

3) Should I return my asus monitor and get a LED-backlight one of the same (1080p, similar price) size? Is it worth the trouble?3

In addition, I see in my C:) drive that there is a folder for program files and one that says program files (x86). My games, SCII and Crysis, seem to be installing in the x86 folder. What is this?

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Your Rosewill Challenger could fit 2 120mm side fans. Your GTX 570 is dumping a lot of hot air out. Make sure your front is intake, top and rear exhaust, and you should set your side to exhaust too to help with the hot air pushing out from your GPU.

I have Windows 7 64bit and most of my programs isntall to the x86 folder instead of the regular Program folder. I think it's because it's not 64 bit so it get installed in x86. I honestly don't know for sure :p

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
1) use somelike like MSI afterburner, or EVGA precision to monitor your gpu temps. Gpu's will produce a lot of heat, but if your not overclocking it they wont hit bad temperature...in the off chance it is hitting bad temps at stock clock, its time to rma it.
2) Dont worry about an aftermarket cooler for your gpu unless you really need it.
3) nope, monitors do that too.

(x86) is 32-bit programs

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
what are your gtx 570 and cpu temps, what indications are there that its running hot? the card should come with EVGA precision monitoring software, which should allow you to monitor the temperatures. MSI afterburner is also a good program.

Youngwoony

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I will check temps as soon as I get home, but It was just hot to the touch, especially at the back of the case. Wintermint: Could you elaborate on what you're saying? How do I make sure the front and top are intakes, and that the rear is exhaust?

The rear fan I plugged into my mobo, but the top and front did not have the cables for that so they're just connected to the psu.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Connect all your case fans to the psu. Only your cpu should connect to your mobo so you can regulate it.
What wintermint is saying is that fans are directional, and if you have all of them pointed inside or outside then you will not have good circulation and heat will build up. Just make sure the amount of fans pulling are in is the same as the amount of fans pushing are out of your system so you have good circulation.

Youngwoony

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
If I plug my case fans to the psu, they're not regulated-- no? Also, I've no idea how to change the direction of the fans on my case-- real nooob you see...

More question:
4) My Graphics card came with a HDMI adapter cable. Is it good to plug my monitor via HDMI to the card? Do HDMI cables usually not come with monitors?

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
unless you want to use the monitor speakers and dont have a separate audio cable, i would use the DVI cable. they will have identical quality, but the DVI can work better in terms of monitor sleep functions, and the DVI cable is free. HDMI cables typically dont come with monitors.

change the fan direction by unscrewing it, flipping it around, and screwing it back in. i would imagine they are already fine though.
graphics cards generate alot of heat, and your card, i remember it being:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130595
is designed to blow all the air out the back. get back to us with the temps.

Youngwoony

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Okay. so When I run a game temp's hit 67 degrees. Idles at like 36-37. Airflow seems to be very good within case limits, and they're set up like you guys suggested.

Can I bring that running temp down somehow? I guess a fan would help...

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
those are good temps for a stock 570, let alone an overclocked one. i wouldnt worry at all. what game were you playing and what was the maximum gpu load?

google "gtx 570 temps". you will see that people are typically running anywhere from 65-85C under load. If you were running in the 80's i would consider an additional fan, but youre not. Also remember that you have a lifetime warranty on that card :)

how are your cpu temps? core temp is one of many free cpu monitoring programs.

Youngwoony

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I see 65 degrees is pretty good! I was playing SCII on max settings with anti-aliasing. This game isn't toooo GPU intensive I think. Fan speeds max at ~40 degrees. Does that seem normal?

Core temp's read 29~30 for #0-4 at approx. idle. There are four cores I guess? Highs are 40-43 for the same game. How are these numbers? I have the hyper 212 heatsink.

my top evga 570 hits 80-88 degrees cuz there's no room between it and the lower card. no problems thus far... think they are good up to 100 or so, not that you'd want them that high. Once they get transplanted into the new motherboard, will drop a lot with a single slot space between them.