Onboard Audio stops intermittently

Using the onboard audio, the sound intermittently goes out on my system, with the only solution that I've found being a system reboot.

Any suggestions on a short-term fix ("reset" the driver, short of a system reboot), and a long-term fix (debugging the cause and preventing future occurrences)?

This is Gigabyte KV8M800M (I know -- ancient hardware -- I use it to run some old Win2000 apps)
4 answers Last reply
More about onboard audio stops intermittently
  1. did you get the problem at the very beginning of using the motherboard, or the problem appeared recently?
    Tried to clarify if there is any newly installed/updated programs, bioses, drivers or software causing it.
  2. It's been happening for a while - but not from day-1. Unfortunately, the frequency is so sporadic, that it's hard to tie it back to any particular change. It's rare for it to happen more than a couple times a week, and it may go a couple weeks between happening (this is with 2-4 hours of use per day).

I mostly notice it when switching in/out of a couple of GameHouse.com games -- but I'm *pretty* sure I recall it happening before installing them. I think I just notice it with them because they're the only apps with sound that I use with any regularity.
  3. Audio driver may need some update for your system.
    Did you already check it?
  4. The current driver was already installed. I did a re-install yesterday, just to be sure. Hard to know if it had an effect, immediately, since the system can go a week or two between errors.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Audio Motherboards