Suggestion for a router with USB

npolite

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
Hi.

My old SMC 7004BR is beginning to flake after 13 years of use. I think the problem is that I'm being attacked from the outside and the router doesn't know how to handle it so it just stops. After I restart is begins to work again.

Anyway I was looking to replace it. Microcenter had accidentally posted that the Dlink DIR-601 had a USB port which I found out was not the case. The one thing I noticed when I hooked it up was that my transfer speed doubled from 6Mbps to close to 12Mbps. So my requirements are more that I want USB with at least 4 port switches. I found the Dlink DIR-628 which may fit everything but I have heard issues with the Sharepoint software that is needed in which it loses connectivity to the device that is attached. I think it may have been fixed by now but not sure.

My other option is and Asus WL-520gU which is only up to 802.11g so while I don't really need anything over g at the moment, the chipset is a bit outdated and I'm wondering if it will slow down my transfer. Also the case is white and I'm wondering if the color will turn from the years like beige usually does. Will this also require a driver? I think from what I found from the egg reviews it doesn't look like it is needed and can be seen from the network.

My old SMC was also 10/100 but I can see a difference with the DIR-601 (and speedtest.net confirms it). I also have a Linksys WRT54G for my wireless connection.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go over $100 if possible.

Thanks,
Nick