Corrupt Hard drive - Startup failure

k-l-e

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hello!

Ive been having problems with a new 2 TB caviar black hard drive. I think it got corrupted with memory problems previously this year. I havent used it since, but now i need more space for my computer.

If I connect it to the computer, and start up the pc where I boot from my OS hard drive ( not the corrutped one ), it causes a Blue screen with the message BAD_POOL_HEADER.

It causes me to be unavailable to erase the data on the drive cause i cant enter my OS.

Is this Hard Drive completely non usable? Or is there something I can do ?

Thanks for replies

Try removing the motherboard battery to reset the bios; then see if you can boot up to a windows dvd for a fresh install. The other option is to try each ram stick, one at a time in dimm slot one. If your system works, then proceed to install windows with just one stick and rma the other one. Many come with a lifetime warranty, except oem systems. Most of them have just one year.

k-l-e

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I dont want to do a fresh windows installation.

I tried the ram sticks before, but blue screen kept coming. I located the bad memory module that caused the malfunction when i bought the hard drive. My ram now is fine without problem.

Try booting up in windows safe mode using f6 and see if you can use windows restore feature. Or try your old drive and see if it boots up. If I can't get windows restore to work with a major problem, I'll use the hardrive software to clone my backup drive so I don't have to reload windows. You boot up to your backup only, leaving the new drive disconnected. Then connect it after windows loads. Use the software to clone your old drive, then shut down. Disconnect the old drive and boot up with the new drive. Then connect the old drive for a spare. Here's some more info on bad pool error: http://ezinearticles.com/?Bad-Pool-Header---How-to-Fix-the-Blue-Screen-Bad-Pool-Header-Error&id=2526743

k-l-e

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

I dont quite understand what you mean. But I dont have the win7 DVD available atm... I tried now to connect the hard drive while already on my desktop, hotplugged it,,,,, when it got connected i got the same blue screen.

I think the hard drive is to damaged :/ Guess ill just buy a new one, tho the price of them are insane atm cause of the flood in thailand

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
if you a have an external case (usb) this may help get around the blue screen issues.
Does your machine work well normaly, what about under heavy stress?
I cases like this i would make double sure you dont have another issue like bad memory.
Make a bootable USB or CD with the mem86 test program, its really good at finding possible cause of hardware related blue screens.

k-l-e

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

My machine works normally under heavy stress and regular basis.

What caused the hard drive to malfunction was when i installed it in my pc, i tried to install win7 on it, while i tried to do this, there was a bad memory module that caused several errors during installation. I kept trying to install win7 without luck (kept hanging and caused other blue screens). So I located the bad memory module and got rid of it. Unfortunately I tried to many times and caused a permanent malfunction on the hard drive :/

Basically that memory module caused the hard drive to flip and cause the blue screen.

I would guess its not clean and has some corrupted files on it now cause of that memory module.

caqde

Distinguished

Hmm trying to figure out what is going on here. Are you trying to boot to the known good Windows install or the install on the WDC Black drive. Make sure the computer is booting to the drive that works and see if you can fix the problems with the WDC Black drive. On the matter of buying a new one don't bother you have a 5 YEAR warranty there is no way that drive is 5 years old yet. ($12 shipping is a lot less than the $200+ that drive is selling for now) Even if you lost the receipt as long as the date on the drive is not 5 years ago you can't warranty the drive using their website.

One option you could try is booting to a Western Digital Data Life tools disk and running a check on that drive or even doing a full wipe using that tool. (This will take a LONG time.).

Data Life Tools link Download the DOS CD version->
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=613&lang=en

k-l-e

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

im booting from my healthy ssd drive that has no errors. but with the WD drive connected, it causes blue screen at "windows is loading". if i disable the WD drive, everything is normal.

safe mode isnt helping aswell. nor foes hotplugging it.

big problem is,,,,,, how can i erase the data on the drive if i cant enter any os with it connected. i cant use any software if i cant even get to the desktop.

and i guess the warranty doesnt help if i have caused it to act like this on my own because of the broken memory module. sorry if im pessimistic, but i dunno what to do

k-l-e

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

im booting from my healthy ssd drive that has no errors. but with the WD drive connected, it causes blue screen at "windows is loading". if i disable the WD drive, everything is normal.

big problem is,,,,,, how can i erase the data on the drive if i cant enter any os with it connected. i cant use any software if i cant even get to the desktop.

and i guess the warranty doesnt help if i have caused it to act like this on my own because of the broken memory module. sorry if im pessimistic, but i dunno what to do

k-l-e

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

Request the rma for the hardrive and send it in if there's no physical damage. The problem isn't your fault, and the warranty should still be valid. Just say the drive won't load data; no additional details are necessary.

caqde

Distinguished
Like I said try booting to the Data Life Tools disk and see if that works you can test the drive and run diagnostics on it. Just make the disk when the drive isn't connected shut down your system and then run the system with the disk. That tool also has a tool to erase all the information on the disk. If this doesn't work contact WD and RMA the drive.