Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Are you running Boinc or folding@home?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 2, 2011 12:29:08 PM

Questions are simple :Are you running Boinc or folding@home, how many hours a day/week and why do you boinc/fold??

I am running Boinc 24/7/365 with 3 rigs(rig1:fx-8120+amd6870+gtx4601gb, rig2:p II x6 1055T+amd5830+amd4850 and rig3 Athlon x4+amd4850)
I Boinc mostly World community grid(help fight childhood cancer,conquer cancer projects) and Milkyway@home(Making 3d model of milkyway).
Soon i hope to add World community gri conquer cancer and Poem@home to my medical gpucrunching projects.
Poem@home gpu app is coming in a week or so and WCG CC gpu app will be released after new year.

I boinc for better and cleaner future for my kids. Would feel awesome to be part with getting better medicine or cure perhaps. Imagine if you could cure your own child with that cure or give better quality of life to your own child. That's why i am running my own Boinc team and talk/chat about Boinc to get the word out there.

Thank you
LTDAkiles
January 20, 2012 4:28:17 AM

LTDAkiles said:
Questions are simple :Are you running Boinc or folding@home, how many hours a day/week and why do you boinc/fold??

I am running Boinc 24/7/365 with 3 rigs(rig1:fx-8120+amd6870+gtx4601gb, rig2:p II x6 1055T+amd5830+amd4850 and rig3 Athlon x4+amd4850)
I Boinc mostly World community grid(help fight childhood cancer,conquer cancer projects) and Milkyway@home(Making 3d model of milkyway).
Soon i hope to add World community gri conquer cancer and Poem@home to my medical gpucrunching projects.
Poem@home gpu app is coming in a week or so and WCG CC gpu app will be released after new year.

I boinc for better and cleaner future for my kids. Would feel awesome to be part with getting better medicine or cure perhaps. Imagine if you could cure your own child with that cure or give better quality of life to your own child. That's why i am running my own Boinc team and talk/chat about Boinc to get the word out there.

Thank you
LTDAkiles


I know this is an older post, but I had a few questions for you. First, to answer your question, I run my i5 2500k+amd6870 desktop 24/7. I use the CPU for crunching WCG and I use the GPU for Moo! Wrapper (nothing helpful for science but it's fun to see the large amounts of credit it grants).

I was wondering what kind of stats you are getting out of your fx-8120 for WCG? I am looking at building a new crunching machine and I like the idea of 8 tasks running at a time for under $200. The most helpful would be average runtime for each project and average amount of points awarded. I would like to compare it to my i5 2500k that has 4 less cores.
a c 186 à CPUs
January 20, 2012 7:13:25 AM

granno21 said:
I know this is an older post, but I had a few questions for you. First, to answer your question, I run my i5 2500k+amd6870 desktop 24/7. I use the CPU for crunching WCG and I use the GPU for Moo! Wrapper (nothing helpful for science but it's fun to see the large amounts of credit it grants).

I was wondering what kind of stats you are getting out of your fx-8120 for WCG? I am looking at building a new crunching machine and I like the idea of 8 tasks running at a time for under $200. The most helpful would be average runtime for each project and average amount of points awarded. I would like to compare it to my i5 2500k that has 4 less cores.

Well bd isn't actually 8 cores, think of it as 4 cores hyperthreaded to 8 threads, you would be downgrading if you were to switch to an fx rig. Just buy a better cooler for your 2500k and oc! Also overclocking your gpu would be a good idea as it will work much faster.
Related resources
January 25, 2012 9:37:30 PM

amuffin said:
Well bd isn't actually 8 cores, think of it as 4 cores hyperthreaded to 8 threads, you would be downgrading if you were to switch to an fx rig. Just buy a better cooler for your 2500k and oc! Also overclocking your gpu would be a good idea as it will work much faster.


Over the Holiday season I upgraded the stock cooler on my i5 2500k to an Antec h20 620. I keep my i5 2500k running crunching World Community Grid 24/7 at 4.4ghz. It flies through tasks :D 

I was just looking into purchasing the cheapest dedicated World Community Grid Crunching rig possible. The 8120 interested me for its price (under $200 if you can find it on sale) and the number of cores
a c 150 à CPUs
January 25, 2012 10:55:20 PM

My issue with those boinc kind of things is what happens if your pc is the one that finds the 'golden chalice'?
Are you going to get a cut while the company patents and makes billions off what technically is 'your find'? LoL
August 12, 2012 5:16:53 PM

I run BOINC, and tbh I would have been willing to run folding (and had for a time along side BOINC) if they would put out an app that can run on BOINC. But when this was all in the works many years back, politics (and rivalries between Stanford and UC Berkeley) got in the way, and the attempts to put out a BOINC client for folding died. I saw the ugliness of the politics as it unfolded, and because of it, to this day I absolutely REFUSE to fold.

Here's the thing, Folding has a worthy cause, BUT it is not the only scientific endevor worthy of people's resources, and arguments about "we might not get as many of your resources because you can run other projects too" rubs me the wrong way. We're volunteering our computer's resources, so what if we spread our contributions around a little. When you donate to, the Salvation Army for sake of argument, they don't get into spats because you gave a little money to St Jude's Children's Hospital, and as such they got less money from people. When people are being charitable, it's best that those organizations receiving the charity don't get greedy about and nit pick over what one might donate elsewhere also. I will not fold, so long as that, remains their attitude. I swore them off, when the politics played out as it had. In seeking my entire computer resources to themselves, and refusing to allow me to contributed to them on BOINC on account that I could donate CPU time elsewhere too, I chose to NOT RUN THEM, at all.

I run different projects, sometimes swapping about a bit. Currently, my laptop which is my newest computer at this time, has an i7 quad, using the new Ivy bridge (3610-QM), and an nVidia GT650m with 1 GB of qddr5. For this month, the team I'm on is running POEM for the GPU PotM and yoyo for the CPU PotM. Things do very, and I also like to mix things up a bit. And as I suggested before, it isn't like there's 1 endevor only, which is a worthy endevor or worth donating some CPU time, too...
!