Sign in with
Your question

ATI And Nvidia Conflict After Game Installation?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2011 2:37:48 AM

So! Here's how it went down.
First, I had a Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT card with the drivers it wanted. This was a placeholder until my ATI Radeon HD 5670 arrived which I originally had shipped with my new AMD Phenom II x4, except the graphics card was defective. When my new ATI came, I put it in and installed the ATI drivers With NVIDIA drivers still on there. Everything was going fine and dandy.

Until I installed Mirror's Edge.

As you know, Mirror's Edge likes PhysX, which I did not have on my ATI card. And now I am unable to start Portal 2, GTA IV, Mirror's Edge, or sadly, 3DS MAX. I was wondering if ATI conflicted with Nvidia in this case. Thanks to any replies.

More about : ati nvidia conflict game installation

a b Î Nvidia
May 31, 2011 3:04:40 AM

BubbleCannon said:
So! Here's how it went down.
First, I had a Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT card with the drivers it wanted. This was a placeholder until my ATI Radeon HD 5670 arrived which I originally had shipped with my new AMD Phenom II x4, except the graphics card was defective. When my new ATI came, I put it in and installed the ATI drivers With NVIDIA drivers still on there. Everything was going fine and dandy.

Until I installed Mirror's Edge.

As you know, Mirror's Edge likes PhysX, which I did not have on my ATI card. And now I am unable to start Portal 2, GTA IV, Mirror's Edge, or sadly, 3DS MAX. I was wondering if ATI conflicted with Nvidia in this case. Thanks to any replies.

that's the problem. maybe it will work find if you just let the nvidia driver hanging in your system in the beginning but in the future trouble surely follow up. so what you can do is right now is unisntall both nvidia and ATI drivers. restart and boot up in safe mode to run driver sweeper program. clean all related stuff for ATI and nvidia using the program. reboot your system after done doing so and reinstall your ATI driver
a c 83 Î Nvidia
May 31, 2011 5:53:08 AM

If you have Win7, there is no problems running both Nvidia and ATI at the same time. I've done it with both cards in my system with no issues. However, you may have to reinstall your Nvidia drivers. PhysX is a part of the drivers, and even though your 9400GT does not have physX, it will install drivers so it will run on the CPU. A lot of people remove the Nvidia PhysX drivers when they switch to ATI, this is a big mistake.
Related resources
June 2, 2011 2:11:14 AM

Driver sweeper was discontinued. How could I find this program?
June 2, 2011 3:47:31 PM

Thanks, I reinstalled the drivers with no luck. I don't think it's video drivers at this point. 3DS Max still freezes the computer. Would this have anything to do with outdated visual c++ installations? Mirror's Edge installed those.

If this continues, I'll have to clean boot.
a c 83 Î Nvidia
June 2, 2011 3:53:02 PM

I have seen people have difficulties installing their ati drivers when they had the visual c++ stuff installed. It's worth a shot to remove it.
June 2, 2011 6:54:28 PM

Is it safe to remove those c++ things? I've heard that I shouldn't.
!