Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Windows 7
  • RAM
  • Computer
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
August 1, 2012 2:41:08 AM

i recently built my first computer i had a low budget so i got a cheaper motherboard with two ram slots, ddr3 1333 and it only goes up to 8gb, right now i have 4gm of ram installed on my computer pretty soon i will want to upgrade my motherboard cause i want at leas 8gb of ram installed. I installed Windows 7 oem because thats all i could afford. So my question is if i get a new motherboard and get a new copy of windows 7 will i lose everything on my hardrive cause i have all my games and stuff on it and i dont want to lose everything if i get a new motherboard and new windows 7. PLEASE HELP!!

And also how do i reinstall a new copy over the old installation without erasing anything and keeping everything i had! PLEASE HELP i need an answer every answer ive been getting doesn't answer my question

More about : windows oem motherboard

August 1, 2012 7:59:46 AM

First about the ram, only 64-bit windows could use over 4gb Ram.
Second if you do not want loss your things on original partition, you could create another partition to install the new OS.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 1:21:22 PM

Often you 'can' move the OS drive to a new PC if there's no RAID or with a RAID a compatible chipset i.e. Intel to Intel.

Further, once moved you'll need to install the Chipset (INF) and remainder of the drivers for the new MOBO.

As far as OEM OS, there's no difference other than 'licensing' ; the OEM is meant for new builds and offers limited support over a Retail copy. Any builds I do use OEM. No doubt you'll need a 64-bit OS for >4GB of RAM and IF going from 32-bit to 64-bit you'll need to do a clean install i.e. from scratch.
Score
Related resources
August 1, 2012 3:21:53 PM

i have 64 bit version the question is can i re use windows 7 oem
and how do i re install windows 7 without losing any data
Score
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 3:34:14 PM

Joe. Jaquith just answered that...
"Often you 'can' move the OS drive to a new PC if there's no RAID or with a RAID a compatible chipset i.e. Intel to Intel"..... Means no new install. Simply replace the mobo and plug it in as is.
"Further, once moved you'll need to install the Chipset (INF) and remainder of the drivers for the new MOBO." Now hes just explaining that once you have it installed turned on etc. To go to the mobos website and get the chipset and drivers for it so it works properly :p .

Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 3:36:22 PM

AngryJoe said:
i have 64 bit version the question is can i re use windows 7 oem
and how do i re install windows 7 without losing any data

Quote:
Often you 'can' move the OS drive to a new PC if there's no RAID or with a RAID a compatible chipset i.e. Intel to Intel.

Further, once moved you'll need to install the Chipset (INF) and remainder of the drivers for the new MOBO.

Already stated. However, I always recommend that you backup all of your data first.
Score
August 1, 2012 8:36:26 PM

i tried to back up my data but it says something about having a second drive idk
Score
August 1, 2012 9:02:36 PM

and i just want a straight answer to my question i just want to know exactly how to re install windows 7 without losing my data and how do i back it up without having a second drive please i just want a simple straight answer
Score
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 9:17:28 PM

Joe, You've received a straight simple answer... I think that maybe the "technical" terms are going a bit beyond your knowledge at this point. Maybe you should take it into a professional/friend that has a little more experience.

1st
you don't have to re-install windows 7 as previously explained *please read my reply with Jaquiths quotes*.
2nd
to back up your data your going to need a 2nd or exterior hard drive. Why would you back up on a hard drive that your going to either A: Ruin the data by using it on a new mobo. Or B: Wipe with a fresh install of win 7 which will get rid of the data?

I tried to explain it as simple as i possibly could.

Best of luck.
Score
August 1, 2012 9:44:30 PM

well sorry im not good with software and *** its confusing but thanks anyway, but windows 7 oem is tied to the original motherboard so if i get a new one then i will have to reinstall it because thats what i have read on forums, i have been searching about this for a long time thank you you have been helpful now i just need to know how will i keep this oem without getting a new version thanks
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 1, 2012 10:14:04 PM

IF the OS is OEM as in from HP, Dell, Gateway, etc then it might not work. Quite often those versions of OSes are not 'complete' in that often generic drivers libraries are missing and/or the OS is locked-down in that by design it won't work on different hardware.

All of the following are 'Full Versions' of Windows 7, the OEM is for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) and/or System Builders.

This is 'my' version of OEM Windows 7 -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
vs
Retail Windows 7 -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or
Upgrade Windows 7 -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
August 2, 2012 12:08:54 AM

i got mine from newegg and i just looked at my computer properties and the product id that it says on computer properties is different from the product key on the box so does that mean, when i get my new motherboard i give the product key on the box and it should work because when i installed windows 7 on my computer i didnt type in the product key on the box.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2012 1:21:58 PM

The Product ID and Product Key are not the same on any PC. If you're just changing the MOBO and everything else is remaining the same then you might not need to re-register.

The last couple times with Window 7 when I changed to a different MOBO (Gigabyte -> ASUS) and (RMA same model) I didn't need to re-register.
Score
August 2, 2012 3:23:47 PM

ok thanks because i just dont want to waste money and buy a new motherboard and have it not work out because everybody says if you have oem that you cannot get a new motherboard because its tied to that motherboard anyways thanks
Score

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2012 3:38:25 PM

A guaranteed re-registration is changing-out multiple components and then either an online registration or a phone call to Microsoft would be required.

Bottom-line IF you're doing this all ethically then you've got nothing to be worried about.
August 2, 2012 4:07:34 PM

Ok thanks man i just want to be sure im safe to get my new motherboard and continue upgrading my computer with no problems.
Score
August 2, 2012 4:10:24 PM

oh and also i wont have to re install windows 7 right? since its already on my hard drive?
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2012 4:37:21 PM

AngryJoe said:
oh and also i wont have to re install windows 7 right? since its already on my hard drive?

Correct. Go to the NEW MOBO's website and download the appropriate Chipset (INF) driver and other drivers for you OS and it's bit size (32-bit or 64-bit). Install the Chipset (INF) driver first, then SATA, LAN, USB, etc. Lastly, open the Device Manager and verify there's no unknown devices {? or !} and if so then install those drivers.
Score
August 2, 2012 6:49:50 PM

alright thanks man hoping its gonna work so thank you so much for you're help i appreciate it.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2012 6:52:14 PM

If you have any problems then either post them here or PM me.

Good Luck! :) 
Score
August 2, 2012 7:48:39 PM

thank you!! i dont understand why everybody says you can't if you can haha :D 
Score
August 4, 2012 3:12:22 AM

Best answer selected by AngryJoe.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 4, 2012 12:13:30 PM

It's generally a 'better' option to re-install the OS, but I know the components can be replaced, drivers updated and you should be fine.
Score
August 5, 2012 6:02:55 PM

why would it be better?
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 7:36:38 PM

The biggest single reason is SATA Controllers. Going from Intel->Intel or AMD->AMD isn't 'generally' an issue, but third-party or Intel<->AMD 'can' be a problem especially IF there's a RAID.
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 5, 2012 7:38:59 PM

I would encourage you the select and schedule both options as shown below AFTER you install ALL of the drivers:

Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
August 6, 2012 5:10:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!