Sign in with
Your question

This is my 2nd power supply to blow up in the past 2 months,whats wrong?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 2, 2011 12:54:59 PM

Hey guys. My power supply quit out on me while playing the witcher 2 a couple months ago. I just kind of figured that my power supply was rated a little low for my video card. I went out and bought a 730W Radian, and now thats dead after playing about 30 minutes of Battlefield 3. Any ideas about what else could be wrong?

Computer Specs:
EVGA GTX 460 video card
8g DDR2 ram
1TB HD
Phenom 2 Quad Core cpu
Radian RX-730SS PSU

**As a note, This time it was plugged into a different power strip, so its not a problem with the power strip. It's only happened while playing 2 different super intense games.**

More about : 2nd power supply blow past months whats wrong

a c 275 ) Power supply
November 2, 2011 12:58:13 PM

Buy a quality unit from a reliable supplier like Antec,Corsair,Seasonic,etc.
Never heard of Radian,you get what you pay for.
A good 500W psu will run that no problem.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2011 1:26:57 PM

Third time's the charm - buy a proper PSU this time.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 1:37:23 PM

Yeah,the guy at my local computer store wasn't much help. He told me the PSU should be great. I didn't find out until just now that people don't like Radian PSU's at all. I was in a pinch at the time and didn't do my research.

You both seem to think that it's just a crappy PSU problem and not a problem with my vid card or my mobo that is blowing these suckers up?
m
l
a c 275 ) Power supply
November 2, 2011 1:42:12 PM

TheThompsonator said:
Yeah,the guy at my local computer store wasn't much help. He told me the PSU should be great. I didn't find out until just now that people don't like Radian PSU's at all. I was in a pinch at the time and didn't do my research.

You both seem to think that it's just a crappy PSU problem and not a problem with my vid card or my mobo that is blowing these suckers up?

Very difficult to say at this point.
I'll assume the previous psu was a cheap pos too.
Problem is cheap psu's have a nasty habit of damaging other components.
Buy a good quality unit and hope for the best.
Antec,Corsair,and OZC make quality units at affordable prices.
m
l
November 2, 2011 3:37:56 PM

Have you opened the first PSU up to see what went pop? could be an internal fuse.
if it smells badly burnt, you maybe able to get it repaired.
if you are good with a soldering iron, replace the burnt bits, and check the rectifier and the smoothing caps wit a multi meter. if it looks ok plug it in with nothing connected, power it up , you should be able to get it powered up by doing a search on the web about switching on the psu without putting it back in the case. (grey and white wire seem to ring a bell but check this first)

Even cheap power supplies are normaly reliable even under heavy load, the thermal cut out go before the PSU goes.
i had a proper cheap'o supply and i was running nvidia SLI, only issue i had was killing a few CD burners (these need really steady voltages to do the writing).
m
l
November 2, 2011 3:40:00 PM

I am pretty handy with a soldering iron. I'm going to take it back to shop I got it from today when I get off work. If it's under warranty, I'll just get a new one. If it's not, I'll try all those nifty things you suggested!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2011 6:27:54 PM

I agree with not opening it up until after you have tried to get your money back. Such things could void warranties.
m
l
!