Sign in with
Your question

Linksys WRT54G acquiring network address problem

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 12, 2011 1:48:34 AM

I have a WRT54G router connecting to a WPC54g notebook adapter. I can connect to my neighbor next door but not to the wireless router above my head. All other network adapters (USB/No-name cheapie) but the Linksys card can't see the Linksys router. What's up with that? WPA-2 Personal encryption w/ pass phrase, Wireless MAC filter on w/ MAC address in list. It seems to hang in the DHCP trying to get a network address. Set default gateway to 192.168.1.1, entered DNS ,(192.168.1.10(local) and 68.94.156.1,68.94.157.1 for DNS outside. I dropped RTS, Fragmentation threshold to 2309,2304 respectively. Stupid thing is the card worked fine before but I uninstalled it when I couldn't find the card after a trip. Painting a room/moving furniture "found" it again and here I am.
January 12, 2011 5:03:01 AM

jeffalee419 said:
I have a WRT54G router connecting to a WPC54g notebook adapter. I can connect to my neighbor next door but not to the wireless router above my head. All other network adapters (USB/No-name cheapie) but the Linksys card can't see the Linksys router. What's up with that? WPA-2 Personal encryption w/ pass phrase, Wireless MAC filter on w/ MAC address in list. It seems to hang in the DHCP trying to get a network address. Set default gateway to 192.168.1.1, entered DNS ,(192.168.1.10(local) and 68.94.156.1,68.94.157.1 for DNS outside. I dropped RTS, Fragmentation threshold to 2309,2304 respectively. Stupid thing is the card worked fine before but I uninstalled it when I couldn't find the card after a trip. Painting a room/moving furniture "found" it again and here I am.

Okay, talking to myself; While I was sitting there pondering why I can get neighbors router but not my own, yet 3 other units can "see" router, I thought I'd "fault isolate".(something I learned from an HP Tech), the issue. Did the hard drive, no probs. Card okay because I can get in elsewhere. Router okay because other units say it's working. So I thought, CD went south? Downloaded the zipped version from a dot edu site. Ran the software and danged if it did the trick. CD came with card years ago. Oh well, makes a nice coaster for iced drinks. Happy Trails.
m
l
!