Solved

Best amd cpu for msi k9n6pgm2-v

:hello: which processor of amd should i buy which
1. can support my current motherboard msi k9n6pgm2-v
2. will provide max performance
3. can support ddr3 ram (can change motherboard in future)

msi website is saying that it support upto phenom 2 x4 910e (65w) only but another website show that it can support upto 955 (95w)
manual of motherboard says that it can support am3 processor upto 65w only
also "http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-2100-phenom-ii-x6-1075t,2859-10.html" it says that 955 have less performance than some i3 :(

phenom 2 x4 955 http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K9N6PGM2-V_%28MS-7309%29.html

phenom 2 x4 910e http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9N6PGM2-V.html#/?div=CPUSupport

:o or should i switch to intel in future, as amd bulldozer is also lagging behind intel (and phenom 2 also) :??:
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best k9n6pgm2
  1. Best answer
    If this http://us.msi.com/product/mb/K9N6PGM2-V.html#/?div=CPUSupport is your board, then the Hecka z740 tri core cpu is what I recommend. Good luck finding it. Ebay didn't have any for sale. It would be better to upgrade your motherboard first for a better cpu selection. Before you select a cpu, check your bios version at the top of the post screen; use the "pause" key and write it down. You can download msi's "live update" software off their website. Then disable any boot block or virus protection settings in your board bios, and windows firewall. Then install the software and reboot; click on the msi icon and let it do a search while you're online. Be patient and let it finish. Don't touch anything while flashing. It will reboot when ready.
  2. I have this exact motherboard with a AMD Phenom X3 8400 triple core processor in it, with 4GB's of DDR2-800mhz RAM and a XFX Radeon HD4770 video card. I've played Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 1 and 2, Black Ops and Battlefield:Bad Company 2 without any major glitches, low frame rates etc. I found another link to all of the supported processors that this board can support.

    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K9N6PGM2-V_%28MS-7309%29.html

    I hope this helps you.
  3. o1die said:
    If this http://us.msi.com/product/mb/K9N6PGM2-V.html#/?div=CPUSupport is your board, then the Hecka z740 tri core cpu is what I recommend. Good luck finding it. Ebay didn't have any for sale. It would be better to upgrade your motherboard first for a better cpu selection. Before you select a cpu, check your bios version at the top of the post screen; use the "pause" key and write it down. You can download msi's "live update" software off their website. Then disable any boot block or virus protection settings in your board bios, and windows firewall. Then install the software and reboot; click on the msi icon and let it do a search while you're online. Be patient and let it finish. Don't touch anything while flashing. It will reboot when ready.


    i will check that z740
    i have upgraded my bios few month ago to the latest v9.9
  4. Th_Redman said:
    I have this exact motherboard with a AMD Phenom X3 8400 triple core processor in it, with 4GB's of DDR2-800mhz RAM and a XFX Radeon HD4770 video card. I've played Call of Duty 4, Modern Warfare 1 and 2, Black Ops and Battlefield:Bad Company 2 without any major glitches, low frame rates etc. I found another link to all of the supported processors that this board can support.

    http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/K9N6PGM2-V_%28MS-7309%29.html

    I hope this helps you.


    this link includes phenom 2 x4 955 which is not in msi's list of supported cpu.
    Also it is of am3 type with 95w or 125w but manual says that board support only 65w of am3 type, so if i install this it may leave me with a dish called 'board fry', that is it may damage my board.
    Also i do extreme overclocking on stock cooler.
    Also can it support ddr3 ram.
  5. o1die said:
    If this http://us.msi.com/product/mb/K9N6PGM2-V.html#/?div=CPUSupport is your board, then the Hecka z740 tri core cpu is what I recommend. Good luck finding it. Ebay didn't have any for sale. It would be better to upgrade your motherboard first for a better cpu selection. Before you select a cpu, check your bios version at the top of the post screen; use the "pause" key and write it down. You can download msi's "live update" software off their website. Then disable any boot block or virus protection settings in your board bios, and windows firewall. Then install the software and reboot; click on the msi icon and let it do a search while you're online. Be patient and let it finish. Don't touch anything while flashing. It will reboot when ready.


    i searched for z740 which will cost me around Rs4000 it seems good in performance to price ratio also officially supported, but phenom 2 x4 955 on ebay is of Rs6400, also 910 e is around rs 14000, so what about 955
    performance comparison at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php
  6. The 955 is not supported by your board; it requires a board that can support up to 125 watts; yours is good for maybe 95.
  7. o1die said:
    The 955 is not supported by your board; it requires a board that can support up to 125 watts; yours is good for maybe 95.


    so 955 is out. :(
    so z740 (3ghz*3 core=9) VS 910e quad core (2.6*4=10.4)
    now since 910e is quad core and overclock-able upto 3.5ghz :love: (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1195/11/) with more L2 and L3 cache than z740,
    what about z740 (AMD provide very less info about it), can we overclock z740,
    and finally which will be the best from these two before and after overclocking both
  8. Overclocking is not guaranteed; depends on your board/ram/cpu stepping/ and power supply quality. I would go for the 740 if the default speed is higher, assuming they're priced about the same. Three cores is plenty for nearly all applications. Any amd cpu with an "e" after it is lower voltage and lower speed, designed to save energy, not for gaming performance.
  9. i do many activity at a time like compression(winrar,winzip,arc,pack etc),heavy gaming at high quality (like GTA4 and series, left4dead1,2, nfs series, dirt, cod series etc) , uncompressed video capture of game, video converting, virtualization, ms office and many more.....
    for my current hardware you can check my configuration
  10. It's your money; get what you want. The fourth core is rarely utilized by any application; if you truly want better performance, get a new board and use the 955. End of discussion.
  11. "A new board" that can make a blackhole in my pocket,
    i will make my decision After searching full capacity of 740's overclocking,
    can you give me a link for 740's features as amd.com is lacking many important info which are needed before making any decision.i searched google too but unable to find full specification of 740
  12. for this board 740 seems to have more performance when overclocked and 4th core unlocked, but is not sufficient. :pfff:

    so i will get a new board that can support ddr3,ph2,ucc :pt1cable:

    thanks for all replies
  13. Best answer selected by truegenius.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Support AMD Motherboards Phenom MSI-Microstar