Will MS-Dos work with my MSI motherboard?

stabilo

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I want to create a Bootable USB-DOS stick. using the Windows 98/ME DOS system files.

But the motherboard manufacturer (MSI) says: "MSI Reminds you :Because of the limitations of chipset, this MB does not support Win98/ME" (http://www.msi.com/product/mb/785GM-E65.html)

I need this dos-bootdisk to use some Samsung flash utility to flash my harddrive to newest firmware.. is it possible these w98/ME DOS-system files will not work well with my motherboard or...??

stabilo

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
I formatted my USB-flashdrive with HP USB format utility. I can use this same HP utility to make the flashdrive bootable. I just need to point it to the dos system files. I' m gonna try FreeDOS as you've mentioned. But where can I get all the FreeDOS system files in one zip. Freedos.org only offers installation iso-image?

stabilo

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Disregard my previous comment.

I downloaded the FreeDOS iso and extracted the folder within, containing all ms-dos like files. ie command.com, format.exe..

I formatted my USB-stick using the " HP USB format" utility. I can use this same utility to transfer the ms-dos files to make the flashdrive bootable to DOS.

All articles on the web direct me to some win98boot.zip containg all the dos-files from windows98. But I'm not entirley confident about using this. So I turn to Freedos instead.

But FreeDOS doesn' t seem to have an IO.SYS file. Isn;t this a necessary file to make a USb stick boot to DOS?

Nope, only the two files are necessary. The kernel and the command line parser. For firmware flashing it should be completely driverless and IO.sys can get in the way of this