Enough power to a 5970

hotfigs

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
I'm having problems with my 5970. Every so often, I'm getting a BSOD, but only when crossfire is enabled. The problems have only started since I upgraded from a core 2 quad system to a sandybridge system. I've run memcheck overnight and no problems there. I'm wondering the 5970 is now not getting enough power when running in crossfire mode.

I've run hwmonitor and it's showing the current on one core as 1.74A and on the other core as 0.87A which struck me as a little odd. The VID was 1.56V on both cores and the first core has a VIN0 of 0.95.

I have a CIT 700w psu.

Could anyone confirm if these are normal values? Or perhaps have some other advice as to how I might diagnose a psu problem?

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Well your PSU unit is CIT, which isn't exactly a well known brand. Chances are the 12V rail isn't handling the load the 5970 is demanding properly and thus causing this instability. I'd upgrade your PSU to a more solid unit, like an 850W Antec TruePower or a Corsair HX Series.

I'd also advise updating your graphics drivers to the latest set, to see if that fixes these issues, it COULD be software based.

I'm guessing your new Sandy Bridge platform is using more power than your older Core 2 Quad system. That, along with your 5970 is just enough to go over what your crappy PSU can consistently deliver. Upgrade to a more stable PSU and you should see better stability and less BSODs