Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
You may want to invest in a secondary PSU because I don't think the one that comes in the deal is built well. You should find some 1333 RAM rather than 1600 since your motherboard will run at 1333 max without overclocking.

dwbluvsaec

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Let me first say sorry for posting it in the wrong section.

Engima I added the second set of ram due to what came with the combo deal, thanks for letting me know that though.

Jrwizbang why would you start from scratch and not a combo deal? Sorry for the noob question im new to this and thought it would be a better deal is all.

Ps3Hacker12 Thanks for letting me know about the upgraded card I didn't even see it, as far as the second link you posted I will fill it out and add it back here asap.

Im trying to stay below $800 on this system I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. I wouldn't mind over clocking it later on, as far as sli or cross fire is there a real advantage to say using 2 of the 5770 or 2 of 6770's or will one be sufficient? I was worried about the 500 watt power supply that came with combo wouldn't have enough power for two cards. But by all means, if you can come up with something around my budget that's better that uses the 1090t let me know.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Well, usually it's actually not a better deal, because they are charging you for putting it together too. For about $800, you can build a better(ish) computer.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
With the motherboard that comes in the combo deal, you can't do either SLI or Crossfire because it only has one PCIx16 slot. Personally I would recommend getting the best graphics card you can afford and then do SLI or Crossfire in the future. With the combo PSU I wouldn't recommend pulling out anywhere near 500W, maybe 350W at best.

I usually see combo deals as companies trying to sell excess stock of an inferior product in combination with a better product. Business's would call this pairing, like how some DVDs come in a two pack; one DVD that is good and the other is sub-par.

You should note that while the case is a mid-tower, the motherboard is a micro-ATX so it'll be pretty small inside the case.

I'll speak for myself on picking individual parts rather than combo deals since I can't predict how people think. Picking out each component for a computer is better than choosing a combo deal because it allows you to match the parts better to one another and your not stuck with whatever is given. You can also do more research on a component in case something better comes out and then see if you would want it.

Personally I would get a quad core processor rather a six core processor because nothing really needs those two extra cores at the moment.

jrwizbang

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Well said. ^ You rarely and I mean RARELY will need the hex-core cpu for games. The only thing that would hepl with would be rendering, and multitasking....

dwbluvsaec

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010

I see what your saying that's a pretty good comparison with the movies. The reason I wanted to go with the six core is in hopes of staying somewhat in ahead I know that's hard to do because it changes constantly, but I figured for the price it was worth it and it might keep me in the good for a few years. Im not trying to justify the six core as im open to all sugestions.

I agree I should probably just go with one video card for now and maybe wait for another one later on if necessary, but like you said with this combo deal I wouldn't be able to. You have truly thrown me for a loop now thanks lol.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I didn't know how else to tell you since I also have a motherboard with only 1 PCIx16 slot but I don't plan to Crossfire in the future since my 6850 runs everything I need it to. If you have time I would recommend checking out some of Tom's prebuilt computers, the $500 and the $1000 to see if either will work for you.