AMD processor for Skyrim ($100-$200)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pghprogrammer4

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Hi all,

I'm upgrading my desktop for Skyrim (because let's face it, who wouldn't?) and am a bit stuck when it comes to picking a CPU. This rig I mainly use for multitasking, with a bit of gaming from time-to-time (Portal, Witcher, Oblivion and wc3 DotA) and I used to have a Core 2 Duo E6400 cpu. My goals for this new rig are a) ability to play Skyrim as best it can and b) be able to multi-task efficiently. I'd like to spend around $120-150, but could go up to $200 if the deal is that much better.

I've heard the Phenom II X4 965 has one of the best values for AMD, I'm wondering if the Phenom II X6 1090T would be better or worse for this game. Do you think the cores will matter for Skyrim, or clock speed?

My planned system:

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 (not yet purchased)
2x2GB DDR3 (not yet purchased)
1GB 5770 graphics card (already own)
Crucial 64GB SSD for OS and a game or two (already own)
other hard drives, unimportant (already own)

Thanks,
pghprogrammer

P.S. I know that Intel has better value at this price range, but I'm sticking with AMD for personal reasons. Thanks!

Solution
The system requirements are pretty light so you should easily be able to max it out with your 5770 and a Phenom ii x4 955.The 955 is the best bang for your buck since you can easily O.C. 300 mhz(and more with a minor voltage tweak) out of it without even increasing the voltage.Which can turn your $125 processor into a $170 processor.Very easy and saves you a lot of money.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/26/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-system-requirements-released-render-giant-spiders-on-2gb-ram/

The system requirements are pretty light so you should easily be able to max it out with your 5770 and a Phenom ii x4 955.The 955 is the best bang for your buck since you can easily O.C. 300 mhz(and more with a minor voltage tweak) out of it without even increasing the voltage.Which can turn your $125 processor into a $170 processor.Very easy and saves you a lot of money.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/26/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-system-requirements-released-render-giant-spiders-on-2gb-ram/

Solution

pghprogrammer4

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011

Any particular reason for 955 over 965? Is the overclocking potential is that much great to justify saving $5? (955 for $125 vs 965 for $130)

^ Exactly.That's all they are.Nothing special, just clock speeds.

It used to be a $20 gap but you are correct $5 isn't that big of a deal.But if it's $5 more in your pocket then hey you'll be a rich man someday,lol.Honestly though it's just marketing.Go with the 955 and a simple multiplier increase will save you an extra $30 without causing any harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.