Sign in with
Your question

How bad will be the hd 5770 with my specs?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2011 1:50:44 PM

Hello all,

My system specs are:
dg31pr mother board
core 2 duo e4500 2.2 ghz
3gb ddr2 ram
one harddisk sata
one DVD reader\writer
Nvidia geforce 8600 gt 1gb ddr2
450w PSU (12v-20a \ 5v-40a)

I play games (all the new releases) at 1280x1024 res, and as you can imagine recently my system isn't that great at it.
so Im upgrading my GPU to ATI HD 5770 (my psu should work fine with it i think?), and as i understand it will be bottlenecked by the CPU.
my question is will it be a big bolettleneck?? I mean hd 5770 should play (most) of the games at max setting at this resolution.. but with this CPU how good (or bad) will it perform in new games like dragon age 2 for example or crysis 2 ??

thanks in advance

More about : bad 5770 specs

a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 1:54:19 PM

There will be some improvement, but yes your main system is still the biggest bottleneck. It is alleviated somewhat by the low resolution. Also make sure you don't have any post processing effects turned on in games like Anti-Aliasing etc, as they are CPU hogs. That said, there will be a noticeable improvement over your old GPU, there's a three generation jump there :) .
May 31, 2011 1:58:44 PM

Griffolion said:
There will be some improvement, but yes your main system is still the biggest bottleneck. It is alleviated somewhat by the low resolution. Also make sure you don't have any post processing effects turned on in games like Anti-Aliasing etc, as they are CPU hogs. That said, there will be a noticeable improvement over your old GPU, there's a three generation jump there :) .

thanks for quick reply
do you know if games like crysis 2 or the witcher 2 can be played with high settings with no Anti-Aliasing and stuff like that?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 2:04:07 PM

With very low settings at your resolution i'm sure you could manage playable frame rates yes. But don't be expecting anything spectacular.
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 2:06:13 PM

it all depends on the game, but if you are not willing to upgrade your whole system yet, i would suggest a more modest graphics card upgrade, like the 5670. anything extra would be wasted considering the rest of your system and your resolution.

you will get a very appreciable performance boost with such an upgrade.

also you might look into getting an overclock on your cpu, that would help tremendously.
May 31, 2011 2:07:40 PM

Griffolion said:
With very low settings at your resolution i'm sure you could manage playable frame rates yes. But don't be expecting anything spectacular.

lol i can play all games with low settings with my current 8600 gt !!
May 31, 2011 2:32:24 PM

Overclocked Toaster said:
it all depends on the game, but if you are not willing to upgrade your whole system yet, i would suggest a more modest graphics card upgrade, like the 5670. anything extra would be wasted considering the rest of your system and your resolution.

you will get a very appreciable performance boost with such an upgrade.

also you might look into getting an overclock on your cpu, that would help tremendously.

the problem is its an intel original motherboard that cant be overclocked :( 
and the reason I'm considering the hd5770 or maybe gts 250 is the possibility of upgrading rest of the system later and then I will already have the GPU instead of buying another new one
Btw would something like core 2 duo e7400 @2.80 be enough? thx
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 2:33:46 PM

The E7400 would still be under powered mainly because it's a dual core, triple core is the absolute recommended minimum for gaming really. But it would be an upgrade from what you already have.
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 3:17:29 PM

Griffolion said:

You got that wrong. Low res puts less stress on GPU, hence CPU bottlenecks are more pronounced.

That said, I doubt there will be much of an issue besides a few games now and then which are real CPU hogs. Overclocking or upgrading to a ~3ghz dual core/quad core would help that out quite a bit. E5400 2.7ghz should only be around $60 I think, and it's a great overclocker if your motherboard supports that.

Anyway, I think the 5770 will be a great upgrade as it should allow high settings on any game with that resolution.
a b U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 3:22:47 PM

wolfram23 said:
You got that wrong. Low res puts less stress on GPU, hence CPU bottlenecks are more pronounced.

That said, I doubt there will be much of an issue besides a few games now and then which are real CPU hogs. Overclocking or upgrading to a ~3ghz dual core/quad core would help that out quite a bit. E5400 2.7ghz should only be around $60 I think, and it's a great overclocker if your motherboard supports that.

Anyway, I think the 5770 will be a great upgrade as it should allow high settings on any game with that resolution.

I'm failing to see how i got that wrong. Nowhere in that statement did i say something opposite to what you said. :S

The fact the OP is playing on a low resolution is good, because at least they don't necessarily have a potential graphics bottleneck to contend with, just a CPU based one, which was already very firmly established. This went without saying, something you obviously missed. And finally, i believe you got it wrong, because regardless of the GPU situation, a CPU bottleneck is always as 'pronounced' as it can be, it is simply more diagnosable IF the concept of a GPU bottleneck is removed from the equation.

But anyway, let's not start an argument, shall we? I come on Toms for mature conversation, not trolling each others comments to the finest detail. Besides i'm trying to help the OP here.
May 31, 2011 3:53:11 PM

Thanks alot guys my first question here and it got answered lightning fast:)  guess I'll stick around
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 5:24:51 PM

Griffolion said:
I'm failing to see how i got that wrong. Nowhere in that statement did i say something opposite to what you said. :S

The fact the OP is playing on a low resolution is good, because at least they don't necessarily have a potential graphics bottleneck to contend with, just a CPU based one, which was already very firmly established. This went without saying, something you obviously missed. And finally, i believe you got it wrong, because regardless of the GPU situation, a CPU bottleneck is always as 'pronounced' as it can be, it is simply more diagnosable IF the concept of a GPU bottleneck is removed from the equation.

But anyway, let's not start an argument, shall we? I come on Toms for mature conversation, not trolling each others comments to the finest detail. Besides i'm trying to help the OP here.

I guess it was confusion with your wording. You said the system is the bottleneck but it's alleviated somewhat by the low res... thought you were saying the CPU is less of an issue because of that.

Anyway, I just don't think a 5770 is going to have any issues with CPU bottlenecking on that system unless we're looking at Strarcraft 2, Shogun 2, GTA 4 and maybe a few others. But there's definitely a lot of games that practically idle my CPU while taxing my GPUs pretty hard. I mean let's say worst case scenario, it's not like his CPU is going to limit him to 20 fps. It should be able to deliver decent framerates in any game - most FPS over 50 and for strategy games at least 30-40 (completely made up numbers) which in either case is very acceptable, and often he'd be able to max out graphic settings. Seems like a good match up to me.

Still like we've both said, there are upgrade paths for him with his current configuration that would pretty much totally alleviate the issues. A 3+ ghz dual core will barely bottleneck any game below 60fps that I can think of.

(Following 2 examples use the same GPU)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-cores-performan...
At 3.2ghz (Phenom II X2 for 1/2C, X4 for 3/4C):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/multi-core-cpu,2280...
Core 2 Duo Q6600 2.7ghz:

And here's a game that we know is pretty CPU heavy, Starcraft 2. Yes, CPU definitely shows bottlenecks in these results, yet the FPS is still very acceptable
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/starcraft-ii-radeon...

Summary of SC2 results: Yes, more CPU speed will increase framerates, but a 5770 can still bottleneck the system. It will be fairly easy to find a balance where GPU and CPU are offering pretty equal framerates. Therefore, his CPU and this GPU are a good match.
May 31, 2011 6:58:03 PM

Guys I've been using my system for about 4 years and I never got an fps problem when playing low-medium setting and I think turning the setting to high with 5770 (no AA) and same res isn't going to be affected by my the CPU that much.. I could be wrong but I hardly think so :D  what u think?
!