Sign in with
Your question

Question about bottlenecking

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2011 4:12:27 PM

Hopefully this is the correct place for this!

Anyway, I'm somewhat confused about this bottlenecking business. I understand what the term "bottleneck" as in the flow of data is restricted.

But the thing I'm confused about is, say I'm searching for a new CPU and GPU, specifically, what things should I look for to make sure that there is no problems with bottlenecking when I actually put these into my computer (This example is hypothetical, I just want to understand whats going on).

If somone could give me some insight on what to look for and what things to understand when searching for these things, I would greatly appreciate the help =)

Thanks for the help in advance! :D 

More about : question bottlenecking

a c 271 U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 4:20:34 PM

NateC16 said:
Hopefully this is the correct place for this!

Anyway, I'm somewhat confused about this bottlenecking business. I understand what it means and all.

But the thing I'm confused about is, say I'm searching for a new CPU and GPU, specifically, what things to I look for to make sure that there is no problems with bottlenecking when I actually put these into my computer (This example is hypothetical, I just want to understand whats going on).

If somone could give me some insight on what to look for and what things to understand when searching for these things, I would greatly appreciate the help =)

Thanks for the help in advance! :D 

If you really did understand what it means then you would know that there is no 'specific' thing to look for as all configs will have different areas that could be a potential 'bottleneck'.
m
l
May 31, 2011 4:25:57 PM

Well, I guess I worded it wrong, I meant to say that I understand what the term "bottleneck" means not specifically how it works, and I'm sorry for that.

But, I found this example.

Asus M3A78
AMD X2 4200+
2 GB RAM
Geforce 9800 GTX+
CoolerMaster 600 Watt PSU
Win XP

How can you tell if there is a bottleneck or not between the GPU and the CPU?
m
l
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 4:30:34 PM

NateC16 said:
Well, I guess I worded it wrong, I meant to say that I understand what the term "bottleneck" means not specifically how it works, and I'm sorry for that.

But, I found this example.

Asus M3A78
AMD X2 4200+
2 GB RAM
Geforce 9800 GTX+
CoolerMaster 600 Watt PSU
Win XP

How can you tell if there is a bottleneck or not between the GPU and the CPU?

By knowing what resolution it's going to be run at, at low res the CPU will be doing all the work and could be regarded as the item that is 'bottlenecking' but as the res is increased the GPU could be regarded as the item that is 'bottlenecking' whilst at the same time it could be said that it was the monitor that was causing the issue couldn't it?
m
l
May 31, 2011 4:34:19 PM

Well thanks for that, it did clear a few cobwebs.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 4:38:45 PM

I still feel that the term 'bottleneck' is an ugly and imprecise one if you try to apply to PC hardware issues.
m
l
!