Sign in with
Your question

Cat5 and cat6

Last response: in Networking
October 1, 2010 12:11:14 AM

I am getting a new cat6 cable tomorrow, and have a question about the best place to put it. I have a wireless connection at home, one wired PC attached to the Wireless. What I am looking for is what would be the best place to put this cat6 cable for best performance?

I'm assuming put it between the Modem and Wireless, but I'm not sure.

More about : cat5 cat6

a b F Wireless
October 1, 2010 7:02:52 AM

wrestler10307 said:
I am getting a new cat6 cable tomorrow, and have a question about the best place to put it. I have a wireless connection at home, one wired PC attached to the Wireless. What I am looking for is what would be the best place to put this cat6 cable for best performance?

I'm assuming put it between the Modem and Wireless, but I'm not sure.

[#0005ff]I think it depends on the nature of the problem - if there is one. Do you suspect the uplink to the router is losing bandwidth as soon as it leaves the MODEM? If so, try the new cable in that position. If, however, the wireless systems are receiving good bandwidth but the wired PC is not, that's where to change the cable and test if it makes a difference.[/#000ff]
m
l
November 8, 2010 7:52:29 PM

Cat 6 from Lowes, 7 foot for $7 Network or Ethernet cable. Increased my computer speed substantually. I switched from cat 5e to cat 6. Lowes has much lower prices than BBY.
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
November 9, 2010 7:50:48 PM

The only time a cat6 is > than cat5 if you will be going from the router to PC with a 1 gig connection.
m
l
November 9, 2010 9:16:02 PM

hang-the-9 said:
The only time a cat6 is > than cat5 if you will be going from the router to PC with a 1 gig connection.

Cat5/5e will still support gigabit speeds. There may be some loss in performance over cat6, but it'd most likely be minimal.
m
l
November 10, 2010 8:49:34 AM

On a local area network yes it can improved performance but using it on the internet side well it depends on the ISP, if it got a good infra structure then you can get the speed you want.
m
l
!