Sign in with
Your question

Extreme Lag When Starting Games

Last response: in Memory
August 1, 2012 1:55:07 PM

Hello, I've recently had this problem when I launch a game, it would immediately be lagging, mouse lag, etc. Feels like 10 fps. Is this an issue with my gpu? motherboard? or hard drive? The lag would end right after i close the game.

I am currently using a gtx 460 (301.42) and evga 750i sli mobo and a 850watt antec power supply.

Thank you for the help
a c 347 } Memory
August 1, 2012 2:13:54 PM

It could be a lot of things, and trust me I 'get' it's aggravating. Often it can be a PSU, GPU, GPU drivers, Background Apps i.e. AV (anti-virus), conflicts, etc.

Q - When did the problem start? Often using a Restore Point is the best option to start with first.

If you're wondering about the FPS then install FRAPS - http://www.fraps.com/download.php/

If the Restore Point fails then to rule-out Windows RUN MSCONFIG:
1. Diagnostic mode
<or>
2. Eliminate Services and Startup: Normal Startup, Services and [+] Hide Microsoft deselect all others, Startup deselect all items.
m
l
a b } Memory
August 1, 2012 2:22:16 PM

Maybe there is a virus in your system which causing slow performance/lag.
m
l
Related resources
August 1, 2012 3:34:47 PM

h1ghf1v3 said:
Hello, I've recently had this problem when I launch a game, it would immediately be lagging, mouse lag, etc. Feels like 10 fps. Is this an issue with my gpu? motherboard? or hard drive? The lag would end right after i close the game.

I am currently using a gtx 460 (301.42) and evga 750i sli mobo and a 850watt antec power supply.

Thank you for the help

:hello: 

Which is your processor(pentium, core 2 quad, core 2 duo)?

And what you refer to " a game" ?

I think its coz of cpu(since evga 750sli is 775 socket, it'l be an old cpu. ) so even if you have a gtx450 and latest driver 301.42, its not gonna speed up.

please say which game you intend to play in your processor.

newer game put cpu under tremendous load. So, your cpu may not handle the situation.

oh yes.... also your total RAM and its clock speed. 800MHz,1066MHz.....
m
l
August 1, 2012 8:53:11 PM

I'm using a q6600. It happened before and after i formatted. Dont get me wrong, I know it's an old rig, but it had no problems playing games such as heroes of newerth or diablo 3. Im just hoping if anyone knew where the problem might of originated so I can have some peace of mind.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 1, 2012 10:07:11 PM

Did you do anything I already suggested? Keep in mind IF your PSU is old and barely sized properly it loses capacity and it can be a bottleneck @ load. However, the MSCONFIG options will rule-out the OS.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 1, 2012 10:46:21 PM

you think about trying the 304.48 drivers the 301.42 were flonky for me.

just taking a guess though.
m
l
August 2, 2012 11:47:37 AM

as far as i know, 301.42 are the lastest nvidia drivers and the "304.48" but please, leave a link if you think im wrong
m
l
!