Closed Solved

Roy Lever

I am just starting a new build. I am not a "gamer" but wish I was. I need high speed with superior graphics.

Case; Themaltake Level 10 black?
Mobo: MSI BigBangMarshall or whatever is comparible ot better
CPU: ? i2600k or i2700
RAM: 16gb -What Manufacturer and performance ?
GPU: Nvidia? or Radeon?
PSU: ? Gold+ 750 - 1000 W ? What is the best brand?
DVD/CD: Plextor

Does anyone have specs or other data on the i2700 cpu. I am looking at another build and would like to compare the new cpu to a i2600k. In addition has anyone heard about a new release of invidia 580/590 graphics cards?

Thank you for your help
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about lever
  1. i7-2600k and the 2700k are literally the same. The only difference is 100mhz. Also we need your budget for other stuff. For now I would wait until december, because nvidia will upgrade their 560ti's.
  2. Case: Its nice but I like the new Corsair 500 and 600 series
    Mobo: I like the Asus P8Z68 Pro series. Nice UEFI BIOS and USB3
    CPU: I would say 2500K unless the HT is useful to you
    RAM: 1600MHz Corsair Vengance is the best
    GPU: I prefer ATI and soon both ATI/nVidia will push new GPUs but we wont see them till next year
    PSU: Either a Corsair AX850 or higher. 850W would be overkill even for two GPUs. You only need 1000W+ for Tri/Quad CFX/SLI
    DVD/CD: I loved Plextor back in the day but Samsung and LG make very good drives now too. But Plextor is still a nice brand.

    And as said, the 2700k is just a higher binned 2600K. No need to spend extra money on it.
  3. amuffin said:
    i7-2600k and the 2700k are literally the same. The only difference is 100mhz. Also we need your budget for other stuff. For now I would wait until december, because nvidia will upgrade their 560ti's.



    Thank you for your reply. Your advice is very helpful.
  4. jimmysmitty said:
    Case: Its nice but I like the new Corsair 500 and 600 series
    Mobo: I like the Asus P8Z68 Pro series. Nice UEFI BIOS and USB3
    CPU: I would say 2500K unless the HT is useful to you
    RAM: 1600MHz Corsair Vengance is the best
    GPU: I prefer ATI and soon both ATI/nVidia will push new GPUs but we wont see them till next year
    PSU: Either a Corsair AX850 or higher. 850W would be overkill even for two GPUs. You only need 1000W+ for Tri/Quad CFX/SLI
    DVD/CD: I loved Plextor back in the day but Samsung and LG make very good drives now too. But Plextor is still a nice brand.

    And as said, the 2700k is just a higher binned 2600K. No need to spend extra money on it.


    Thank you for your reply and informative information.
  5. I apologize for messing up my reply.
    I really do appreciate your response and input.
    On my primary system (out of 3 sytems) one for my wife and grandchildren and the other is for charitable use. I am presently running in a Corsair 600t case, GA-P67A-UD7-B3 mobo, i2600k cpu as yet not overclocked, 16gb Kingston HypX ram 16mhz, Radeon HD 6950 GPU, Vertex 3 120gb ssd & a WD 1t hard drive, a Corsair 850 Gold PSU, a Plextor DVD/CD, Canon Printer and a Samsung HD/LED Monitor. MS system rating 7.8, CA system rating top 3%. I am not unhappy (except for graphics detail) however I would like to change over an aging (7 yr.) Acer.
    Sorry for being so winded I am just looking for input and your views have certainly helped. I do not have a budget, I just want to purchase the best (in some cases for the dollar) that I can with assistance and advise from this forum.

    Regards,
    Roy Lever
  6. But what benefits does the i2700k have over the i2600k?

    Thank you,

    Roy Lever
  7. Best answer
    roy lever said:
    But what benefits does the i2700k have over the i2600k?

    Thank you,

    Roy Lever

    Overclockability, if you are doing extreme stuff with liquid nitrogen >.> As said before it is literally the same thing just 100mhz more, if you want the performance of a 2700k with a 2600k, just clock it up 100mhz in the bios LOL
  8. Thank you once again.

    This is very informative. I know that I can overclock the i2600k to 4+ using the gigabyte Smart Tune. Will an additional 100mhz in the i2700 make a significant difference in any computer function? Many of my hobby friends (stamps & auctions) are running work stations and are very happy with the graphics quality. At this point I am inclined to build using the i2600k with a high end mobo. My current thoughts are that the graphics quality (or lack of) may be more related to the Radeon HD6950 performance / setup or my monitor(s).

    Your views and comments are much appreciated.

    Regards
  9. Best answer selected by Roy Lever.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs