HD5770 Driver Problems

MrBadAxe

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I've been running an XFX HD5770 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150462) since August 2010. It's been running everything I need at 1920x1080 just fine, but there's been one problem I've neglected to fix since I bought the card.

Every time I try to upgrade to the most recent version of the drivers, the driver fails to install, in the process limiting my resolution to 1400x1050. The only version of the drivers I've been able to get working are those that came on the CD (I don't have the CD next to me right now, but at the time I bought the card, the included drivers were a version number out of date). Updating through Catalyst always fails.

I haven't bothered to fix the problem since if I use the outdated CD version of the drivers, everything works fine, but it's been bothering me ever since (symptoms of OCD?). As I see it, I have three options:

1. Buy a better card. I've been looking for an excuse, however flimsy, to get an HD 6xxx card. Hopefully this won't be a problem again, especially if I go with a different manufacturer.

2. RMA the card. In the case where a new card will only bring incrementally-better performance, it might be better to just get them to give me a card that doesn't have this problem.

3. Continue to ignore the problem.

Advice?

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
sweep your old drivers and ccc and microsoft C++2010 that comes with the 11.4 and 11.5 drivers in ccc. but I recommend a complete uninstall, you have to uninstall C++ manually and everything should work fine again....but if your lookin for a "flimsy" excuse then buy the better card....but when you do you still should uninstall and reinstall your drivers anyways...personally I would not be able to ignore it. that would get on my nerves.... and you comin here and askin this sounds like it got to you too...so that MY advice to you....let me know if it works!