RDP connection problems over vpn 192 168 1 x

hmashton

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Hello,
I have an ASUS WL600 router and need to connect to another network over VPN (windows VPN - nothing fancy). I can connect to the network without issue, but can't remote desktop to a machine within the host network. The problem is my IP is 192.168.1.7 and their network is also on 192.168.1.x, I think. I've got port-forwarding on 500, 1783 and 3389. Any suggestions?

Ideally the local and remote networks should be on different subnets. In the rare case where this isn’t possible, try the following.

Go to Network Connections (type "ncpa.cpl" (no quotes) from Start->Run or a DOS command prompt), locate the VPN client connection, right click, select Properties, select TCP/IP, hit Properties, Advanced, General, and UNcheck "Use default gateway on remote network".

Your local network should now become unreachable and any local requests (192.168.1.x) should be directed to the VPN. Of course, as the name implies, all Internet access will be through your local gateway, not the VPN.

Btw, I assume the 192.168.1.7 IP address was the one assigned by the VPN server to your VPN client.

hmashton

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Thanks for the response - I ended up changing my local subnet to 192.168.2.x so we didn't clash. Didn't have time for anything fancy and since the only thing I was upsetting was the children (!), it seemed like a quick fix.

The answer above would work as well, I'd suggest if you don't have control of your own network.