Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading the graphics card on my Inspiron 560

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2011 8:29:18 PM

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card on my Inspiron 560. I've found out I have a PCI-E x16 slot available on the motherboard, and a 300W PSU. I'm unsure of which PCI-E version that slot is, but it shouldn't be a problem, with cards being backwards compatible right? I know the PSU limits my upgrade options, and the best card that I could find that didn't need a dedicated power line going to it was the 6670.

I'm looking at the XFX one specifically (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). I did notice that there was a GDDR5 XFX 6670 available. Will that one perform better than the DDR3 one? Is there another brand's 6670 that is more desirable to have?

I can provide more information if desired.
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 9:34:43 PM

The 6670 is practicly the same as the card it's meant to replace the 5670.But the 6670 has a few newer things along with it being slightly faster.And yes the new RAM will make it faster.

Since your computer is a DELL you don't need to look for a new PSU because DELL is one of many few companies that provide godo enough power supplies for future upgrades.

The 6670 is the fastest card you can put into your computer without having to ugprade your PSU.The only problem I can see you having is because we don't know what version your PCI-Express lane is (1.0,1.1,2.0) you could have some problems with the newer 6xxx series cards because i'm sure their all 2.1 cards.Although all the versions are backwards compatible their are known to be issues with 1.0 slots and 2.1 cards.It may work it may not.
If you wanted to not even worry about the 2.1 cards you can still get a 2.0 5670 which is practilly the same as the newer 6670 but it's a tiny bit slower.
m
l
May 31, 2011 9:58:20 PM

This Dell has the Intel G43 chipset according to Everest, which according to Intel, is PCI-E 2.0. Am I in the clear then?
m
l
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
May 31, 2011 10:53:02 PM

You can always look at the mobo and get the model number.That seems easiest to me.
m
l
June 1, 2011 1:11:00 AM

Unfortunately, I've been unable anything of value when searching for the motherboard name CPU-Z provided on Google. However, when looking at the specifics for the system on Dell's site, it says:

PCI Express x16
Connectors one
Connector size 164-pin
Connector data width (maximum) 16 PCI Express lanes
Bus speed 16 GB/s (bi-directional)

The bus speed would indicate that it's a 2.0 slot then, right?
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 2:34:54 AM

I meant physically look on the motherboard for a model number.

But yes I do beilieve it is 2.0.

You should look at the model number just to be sure.
m
l
June 1, 2011 7:06:08 PM

I plan on opening my case tonight, getting a motherboard number and cleaning it out after class, but while doing some more digging around in Everest, I found this:

Device Description Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Bus Type PCI Express 2.0 x1

My network card is plugged into a PCI Express slot, and it's reporting as 2.0. If one PCI Express slot is a certain version, then all PCI Express should be that version, right?
m
l
a c 561 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 7:37:31 PM

It's the chipset that determines which PCI Express Interface revision is supported.

Since you have specified that you have an Intel G43 Express chipset, you have PCI Express Base Specification, Revision 2.0 support. Yes it applies to all of your PCI Express slots.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 7:43:29 PM

I realize the chipset defines what speed the lanes are but,just for my security,I would rather research the model number to be absouluety sure.Call me old fashioned but I like to have physical evidence even tho i'm sure all the info is in everest.
Anyway if you do end up cleaning your PC the Mobo's model number should be located on the bottom left corner.Just write down and post any meaningful numbers you see.

I forgot to ask before,
What is the resoultion of your monitor?
What games do you play?
m
l
a c 561 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 7:58:22 PM

TRexHunter said:
I plan on opening my case tonight, getting a motherboard number and cleaning it out after class, but while doing some more digging around in Everest, I found this:

Device Description Realtek RTL8168D/8111D PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Bus Type PCI Express 2.0 x1

My network card is plugged into a PCI Express slot, and it's reporting as 2.0. If one PCI Express slot is a certain version, then all PCI Express should be that version, right?

When you open up the case you should see PCI-E Gen.2 silk-screened on the motherboard near one of the PCI Express x1 slots.
m
l
June 2, 2011 1:02:37 AM

I opened my case up, and it said PCI-E Gen 2. Didn't find a model number for the motherboard though, but after what I found I don't think I necessarily need to find more information. Managed to take a picture of it as well.

And to answer purple, I'm using 1440x900, and I plan on playing Starcraft 2(Already playing it on the X4500, but it dropping down to 1FPS is hilarious), Bad Company 2, Witcher 1 (Doubt I'll be able to run Witcher 2, but it won't hurt to try), and hopefully be able to play Battlefield 3(Although if I can't, I'll just buy it for the 360 like I originally planned on doing). And probably a bunch of other titles that I couldn't run with the Intel X4500.

EDIT: With there being room under under the PCI Express slot, should I look into getting one of the 6670's that have the larger fans that take up two slots of room? Or will the XFX 6670 that only takes up one slot be fine? I have no intentions or thoughts of overclocking it, if it's even possible with that card.
m
l
a c 561 U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 1:36:13 AM

TRexHunter said:
Didn't find a model number for the motherboard though, but after what I found I don't think I necessarily need to find more information.

EDIT: With there being room under under the PCI Express slot, should I look into getting one of the 6670's that have the larger fans that take up two slots of room? Or will the XFX 6670 that only takes up one slot be fine? I have no intentions or thoughts of overclocking it, if it's even possible with that card.

In the upper right of your picture the model number of the motherboard is clearly shown : G43T-DM1 V:A00

Go for the Radeon HD 6670 with GDDR5 if you can.
m
l
a c 561 U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 7:32:42 AM

TRexHunter said:
I planned on it, just wasn't sure about the ones that have the giant fans on them compared to the ones that only take up one slot.

Like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

compared to these ones:

Giant fans should be quieter than the small fans that have to spin faster to generate the same airflow.

The MSI card would be my recommendation.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 1:55:35 PM

Since your computer is a Dell complete PC you don't really have a whole lot of room for a GPU.I'd go with the single slot cards just to be sure it will fit.And make sure you measure the length to see it will fit before you purchase.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 2:10:42 PM

^ It's an mATX box ( not BTX ), no problem with dual slot cards as long as you don't need the 1x slot, people have shoved cards as large as the GTX280 into them ( I wouldn't ).
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 4:23:31 PM

I'd say for the sake of airflow a single slot card would be better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 4:46:42 PM

^ Airflow consists of a single exhaust fan and the psu, not much to disrupt.
A single slot card dumps it's heat into the case, most dual slot cards exhaust externally.
m
l
a c 561 U Graphics card
June 2, 2011 5:08:55 PM

The reason I recommended the MSI card is because it is the only one of those listed by TRexHunter that has ventilation holes on its slot plate. At least some of the cooling air gets vented to the outside of the case. The other cards just recirculate the air within the case.
m
l
June 3, 2011 5:46:08 PM

I went with the MSI one. It looks like it's only a half inch longer than the XFX card, so it should fit in my motherboard without hitting the RAM bays, especially since the overhang doesn't start until after the heatsink. One last(hopefully) question. With it taking up two bays, will it be a problem that there's a metal bar on the back of the case between the slot plates on the back? This is the first time I've had to deal with a card that takes up two slots like that, which goes to show how out of the know I am these days.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 6:11:56 PM

Your going to need to take out those bars before you put the card in.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 6:26:52 PM

purple stank said:
Your going to need to take out those bars before you put the card in.

:pt1cable:  :pt1cable:  :pt1cable: 
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 8:17:54 PM

Lol,Thats what hes talking about isn't it?
m
l
a c 561 U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 8:35:27 PM

I think he means the chassis slot frame that is between each Expansion Slot Cover Plate. You need to remove the Expansion Slot Cover Plates but you should not be cutting anything out of the chassis' slot frame.
m
l
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 3, 2011 8:50:16 PM

Thats what I was thinking.

You need to remove as many as the card requires.They should just pop out
m
l
!