Building a university research computer with 64GB RAM; need advice.

zippycorners

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hi, I'm currently speccing out a beefy computer for research and computer modeling use.

It's going to run on an LGA 2011 x79 motherboard with the i7-3930K processor.

The computer definitely needs 64GB of RAM, because our current computer is already maxing out the 32GB it has.

At this point, the problem I'm running into is trying to find CPU coolers that will fit with 8-slot RAM kits.
We're looking at G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series , mainly because of the good reviews we've seen for that product and the fact that it comes as an 8-slot bundle. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find height specifications about how tall the RAM is or what kind of CPU cooler to get that will fit over the RAM.

One more thing, we're definitely going air cooling. Water cooling isn't an option for this machine.

Any advice you can give regarding RAM and CPU cooler combinations would be much appreciated. We're looking to buy this machine in the next week or so.

Did you ever look into a E5 Xeon and maybe an 8-core? The 8x8GB non-ECC are more problematic than RDIMM.

Anyway, either 2 kits of Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 or Mushkin 994055 or 994050, or for a single kit the Corsair CMZ64GX3M8A1600C9. The Ripjaws Z in 64GB have been a frequent visitor with either (a) bad stick(s) or 'bad' voltages required to make them stable.

DDR3-1600 or faster in 8GB/stick density still have immature IC's in the unbuffered/non-ECC realm.

Yep, I'm very aware of the NH-D14 compatibility problems and that link which is why I don't recommend it -- once you clean yours you'll know why. On LGA 2011 I really recommend the Corsair H100, totally sealed and much easier to maintain; no I do not consider it 'Water Cooling'; we use them and it's equivalent in my office.

Also note the MOBO compatibility - http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34&lng=en#LGA2011