Sign in with
Your question

Need Help With A Belligerent PC

Last response: in Components
November 3, 2011 2:10:50 AM

I have had the worse luck with technology lately. After I thought I had all my "gadget" problems fixed, my PC decided to kick back and take up drinking. I am smarter than the average bear when it comes to PC's but I am still a NOOB with them. Having said that I decided to join this forum to see what help I can get and to learn more. Here is my problem:

I have an HP PC with a quad core processor, 8 GB of RAM and an upgraded video card. The hard drive that came with it was only 5200 RPM. I bought a 7200 RPM drive and cloned the contents of the original onto this one. I boot from the 7200rpm drive and I connected the original 5200 rpm drive to use as a back up. I did not set up any RAID configuration. I manually back up my files to the extra internal drive. For the past few months I have been getting a notification on my desktop of RAID errors. I never set up any raid settings, but the PC was never affected. Everything worked fine. However, the other night my PC started lagging BAD. My CPU and RAM usage does not exceed 25%. It took nearly an hour and a half just to open iTunes. I ran a virus scan (took 18 hours!) and I have no viruses. The PC seems to respond ok in safe mode but I have not extensively tested it in safe mode. Any thoughts or ideas? I know I don't have many specifics here. I can provide those if needed when I get home. In the mean time I'm looking for ideas as to where to begin trouble shooting. Someone suggested that my hard drive may be failing. I thought it might be the CPU. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thank you

More about : belligerent

November 3, 2011 2:47:50 AM

You may not have setup a RAID configuration, but Windows seems to think you are in one. Try disconnecting the secondary drive, and boot up the system with the 7200RPM drive only, if that fixes the problem it could be that Windows thinks you are in a RAID setup where you split data across both drives the yield higher performance, and one of the drives is failing, slowing the whole thing down. I haven't used RAID myself, but I think you can disable any software RAID that Windows may have applied using the Disk Management utility. You should also run chkdsk on both drives to make sure there aren't any errors or bad sectors. If you see lots of those on one or both of the drives, that means they are failing and probably are the source of the problem.

m
l
November 4, 2011 1:39:13 AM

Thanks for the info. I disabled the other drive but it did not help. I ran the HP PC check before start up and it is telling me the drive is bad. I will back up my data and then run a check disk. Thanks for the help!
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2011 2:15:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I disabled the other drive but it did not help. I ran the HP PC check before start up and it is telling me the drive is bad. I will back up my data and then run a check disk. Thanks for the help!
m
l
November 14, 2011 7:24:43 PM

Just for an update, I have determined it is the hard drive and Seagate is sending me a new one under warranty. I was able to clone the disk to another drive I had and keep my system in tact even though I have no idea how much data was actually lost or corrupted. I guess I will find out over time.
m
l
!