Sign in with
Your question

New Graphics Card for my system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 1, 2011 7:25:37 AM

Hello there, my technically inclined internet dwellers. I come here today asking for advice on what graphics card I should purchase. My current build is as such:
AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 Black edition @3.4ghz CPU
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 Motherboard
4 gigs of DDR3 RAM
A 750 Watt psu(can't recall the name, just the wattage)
Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT Video Card

As of now, my on screen resolution is only 1600X900, but I hope to increase that soon. I would prefer a Radeon card, partly because I want something that is CrossfireX compatible.
And lastly my price range is $350 or less. I feel that this should allow me to buy a card that can run almost any game on high settings for at least a year(hopefully)
I'm not to savvy with computer terminology, so I would much appreciate it if you would keep the chatting somewhat simple. Thanks for the help!

More about : graphics card system

a b U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 7:48:20 AM

get HD5850 safe for your VGA , noiw price very cheap than 6790 but performance more higher. (sapphire)
a c 141 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 12:33:13 PM

henydiah said:
get HD5850 safe for your VGA , noiw price very cheap than 6790 but performance more higher. (sapphire)

if you refer to HD5850 Xtreme that one is very hard to find. in newegg the card is already unavailable. the other version also getting more and more harder to get each day due to the card already been EOLed by AMD. but if the OP manage to get one of those then he should be lucky. and down the road if he wants to CF he will have to get used card for the second card

@OP: with your budget you can grab 1 6970 which is currently the fastest single gpu from Radeon lineup
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 12:42:53 PM

What is the make/model of your PSU?
We need to make sure your PSU is of a quality brand.

I'd say the best GPU you can get for less than $300 would be the 6950.At your current resoultion the 6950 is total overkill but once you upgrade to a 1080p resoultion it shouldn't have much problems keeping up.

Your processor is good but since it's a BE I would suggest O.C.ing to around 3.8ghz to get the maxmimum potential from your new GPU.

What games do you play?

MSI 6950 Twin Frozr II $280 + $8 Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'd say go with a 6950 so that you can purchase the best one instead of going to the edge of your budget with the 6970 only to get a reference version.Nothing wrong with a 6970 reference version,it is faster but I'd rather have a really good aftermarket cooler on a 6950 than a noisey 6970.Also the aftermarket cooler will allow you to O.C. a lot further if you feel the need to.
June 1, 2011 6:28:24 PM

Well, as of now I have games like Far Cry 2, Portal 2, The Witcher, Battlefield BC2, etc. All of which, besides battlefield, don't take much. But, I am getting higher quality games such as Metro 2033 and Battlefield 3 later this year, and for those I'm going to need something good.
As for my psu, it's a Coolmax.
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 6:32:29 PM

Do you know how many Amps are on the 12/v rail(s)?

All those games seem pretty easily maxed out even by a lower card than the 6950 as you already know.But a game like Metro 2033 will need a massive setup to play it on max settings.It's as much CPU demanding as GPU so our aging Phenom ii's just can't max it out.You need something like a Sandy Bridge.But the 6950 and a good O.C. should get you playable framerates on high settings i'm sure.
As for BF3 their are huge similarites between BFBC2 and BF3 so i'm sure you can expect to see the same amount of stress that BFBC2 brings.I can max out BFBC2 with my 6870 and a 965 @ 3.8ghz so i'm sure you should easily be able to max out both.
June 1, 2011 6:59:13 PM

Well, it lists 4 12v rails, so I'll give you the amps for all of them:
+12V 1: 16 A
+12V 2: 16 A
+12V 3: 15 A
+12V 4: 12 A

I figured the X4 965 would cut it, I didn't know much else about cpu's, and I just figured that it was good for the price.
In all honesty, I know next to nothing when it comes to computers. I would love to buy a Sandy Brige, but I can't shell out the $300+ on that too.
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 7:48:42 PM

I'm not saying you have to or you should buy a Sandy Bridge,I'm just saying that Metro 2033 is a seriously CPU/GPU intensive game which will stress any PC to it's limits.I'm just saying thats what it would take to run it at it's max settings,and thats not even a gurantee.

Your PSU seems questionable.They don't even list it's effinceny,which means it's probably really bad.I would say you could run a single 6950 off of it but I wouldn't reccomend running a crossfire setup with it.If you do plan on running a crossfire/sli setup I would suggest getting a new PSU.
June 1, 2011 8:38:38 PM

Ok, thanks for the help. I guess I'll invest in a new psu, then too. What do you suggest?
a c 214 U Graphics card
June 1, 2011 8:45:52 PM

Well as I said, you don't need to invest in a new PSU unless your going to do a multi-GPU setup.You shouldn't have to upgrade your PSU until you need the 2nd card which shouldn't be for a couple months to a year as you stated.When the graphics seem like their deteriating then you buy the 2nd card for crossfire and THEN you should upgrade your PSU.
!