Your question
Closed

I7-3930k and samsung 4gb ram

Last response: in Motherboards
a c 175 Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 662 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 11:25:49 AM

i7-3930k < Just make sure it's on the approved list for your board.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 11:35:15 AM

The 3930K can handle 1.65 volt memory without issue (as can all Sandybridge and Ivybridge), verified by Intel.

Check out the Mushkin Redline memory, works great

Just make sure that you get an Asus X79 motherboard, all the rest are junk
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 11:36:29 AM

newmember27 said:
Trying to find cheap 32 gb of ram for i7-3930k board.

Also, they have to be low clearance due to adding large cpu heatsink (Noctua NH-D14)

Don't want the volts to exceed 1.5. Looking for a stable system.

Think this Samsung 4gb Ram would do the trick?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Whats the mobo?
a c 175 Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 662 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 11:41:50 AM

True.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 11:54:07 AM

I know, but I can understand. If I would have use for better/faster system, if prices are comparable.

I would recommend in most cases anyone that looks for 3-SLI to go to x79.

In that case prices are almost the same.

And sometimes u have approved budget from your wife : )
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 11:58:50 AM

Not that it matters so much, but that Samsung RAM is slow too.
August 2, 2012 12:49:29 PM

I haven't decided on a mobo yet. Might get a relatively cheap board like the BIOSTAR TPOWER X79 (only $185 after rebates). Or the Asus PRO P9X79, or Rampage IV Extreme.

According the reviews on newegg, the Samsung RAM was very overclockable and highly rated. Don't know if this would apply with 8 sticks on the X79 board though (or how stable it would be).
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 1:09:15 PM

For x79 I would go only with ASUS. To many problems with others.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 1:42:53 PM

newmember27 said:
I haven't decided on a mobo yet. Might get a relatively cheap board like the BIOSTAR TPOWER X79 (only $185 after rebates). Or the Asus PRO P9X79, or Rampage IV Extreme.

According the reviews on newegg, the Samsung RAM was very overclockable and highly rated. Don't know if this would apply with 8 sticks on the X79 board though (or how stable it would be).

All the X79 boards have problems, even the Asus ones. However, the Asus boards only have superficial problems that won't impact performance. All the other boards have problems out the wazzo.

I have the Rampage IV Extreme. It's an extremely solid motherboard (once the firmware has been updated hehe) but it's also very expensive and requires water cooling at a minimum because it will run all the CPU cores at the max turbo bin. Rather than running at 3/3/4/5/6/6 it will run at 6/6/6/6/6/6. While this is awesome, it turns a 130 watt CPU into a 180 watt CPU, and if enough PCIe lanes are used along with high speed memory it will be over 230 watts under Intel burn test conditions at 4Ghz. Unsurprisingly, the RIVE handles this without ever breaking a sweat
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 2:04:04 PM

newmember27 said:
Trying to find cheap 32 gb of ram for i7-3930k board.

Also, they have to be low clearance due to adding large cpu heatsink (Noctua NH-D14)

Don't want the volts to exceed 1.5. Looking for a stable system.

Think this Samsung 4gb Ram would do the trick?

Well I wouldn't be looking at Dual Channel kits. $46.99*4=$187.96

$91.99*2=$183.98 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (9-9-9-24 @ 1.50v) Model 993995 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't think too much of the NH-D14 and instead I'd look at the Corsair H100 with a case that supports 120x240mm exchanger. The NH-D14 IMO is a PITA to maintain and install in comparison to the sealed H100.

NH-D14 vs H100 on SB-E:

ref - http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1801/12/
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 2:05:54 PM

"Rather than running at 3/3/4/5/6/6 it will run at 6/6/6/6/6/6. While this is awesome, it turns a 130 watt CPU into a 180 watt CPU"

I don't call that a problem :D 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 4:18:06 PM

You're right, I certainly wouldn't call it a problem. However, it's the default behaviour and it's out of specification which can make instability hard to troubleshoot. Given that the RIVE is an enthusiast board I'm not really concerned about it because no one in their right mind would match that with shitty components but I'd hate to see a mainstream board do that.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 4:21:59 PM

I don't like to combine the High end with budget brand.

Its just unmatched performance wise.
August 2, 2012 5:08:36 PM

Thanks for all of the responses!

Are there any cheaper boards that will run "6/6/6/6/6/6" on the i7-3930k well? Does that equal as much perform increase as one would think? (it sounds awesome)

I would prefer to use NH-D14, I think that some benchmarks might have rated as high as the H100. I'm just paranoid about liquid spilling and destroying the mobo/cpu and all of that stuff. If there is a slightly more expensive better option than both, I'll like to hear it.

Seriously, the reviews of the samsung ram are pretty good. Some people clocked the ram at 2133 mhz at better timing than recommended for 1600 mhz. One reviewer called them the "Hidden" Golden RAM. 42 five star ratings and one three star rating. Could use some explanation for why Mushkin is better for this setup..
August 2, 2012 5:11:44 PM

Pinhedd said:
I don't think anyone investing in X79 is on a budget :D 

+1 for Mushkin though

Yep. I'm not on much of a budget. :D 

Still looking for the best value components for the rig.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 5:11:52 PM

"42 five star ratings"

It means nothing, once good response is "worked right out of the box".

Not everyone may be telling the exact truth.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 5:13:36 PM

H100 is OK, and it does not spill water, but non-conductive fluid.

Anyway, your PSU may do more damage than the water cooling : )

August 2, 2012 5:15:40 PM

nikorr said:
"42 five star ratings"

It means nothing, once good response is "worked right out of the box".

Not everyone may be telling the exact truth.

Well then you're response means nothing. You may not be speaking the truth! :non: 

Just kidding. :na: 

But really, what's the logic behind choosing Mushkin ram? Why is it superior?
August 2, 2012 5:18:54 PM

nikorr said:
H100 is OK, and it does not spill water, but non-conductive fluid.

Anyway, your PSU may do more damage than the water cooling : )

I'm getting a top rated PSU rated above my needs so not too concerned about that.

Just don't want to be one of those guys with a destroyed system due to non-conductive fluid damages...
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 5:23:41 PM

Quality check system, like Corsair. Lower failure ratio and great warranty.

If u have memtest errors, some manufactures don't take that as a failed RAM.

Lots of overclocking headroom.
August 2, 2012 5:24:55 PM

nikorr said:
Quality check system, like Corsair. Lower failure ratio and great warranty.

If u have memtest errors, some manufactures don't take that as a failed RAM.

Lots of overclocking headroom.

And the samsung ram lacks in these departments?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 5:25:36 PM

newmember27 said:
I'm getting a top rated PSU rated above my needs so not too concerned about that.

Just don't want to be one of those guys with a destroyed system due to non-conductive fluid damages...

I am not trying to criticize your set up : )

PSU is impotent part of the set up. For the gamer, the most important.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 5:27:14 PM

Samsung is good, just not known in performance desktop area.

OEM, laptops, servers ... there perhaps.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 5:28:31 PM

If u get that RAM, great.

I would just like u to run 1 test so I can compare some numbers.

The numbers on that RAM are bit high for default speed @ 1600MHz.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 5:29:25 PM

newmember27 said:
Thanks for all of the responses!

Are there any cheaper boards that will run "6/6/6/6/6/6" on the i7-3930k well? Does that equal as much perform increase as one would think? (it sounds awesome)

I would prefer to use NH-D14, I think that some benchmarks might have rated as high as the H100. I'm just paranoid about liquid spilling and destroying the mobo/cpu and all of that stuff. If there is a slightly more expensive better option than both, I'll like to hear it.

Seriously, the reviews of the samsung ram are pretty good. Some people clocked the ram at 2133 mhz at better timing than recommended for 1600 mhz. One reviewer called them the "Hidden" Golden RAM. 42 five star ratings and one three star rating. Could use some explanation for why Mushkin is better for this setup..

Samsung memory is very good but it is not THAT good. Samsung rocks in the server department. There's no way anyone took DDR3-1600 rated memory and ran it at DDR3-2133 without some serious overvolting.

DDR3-2133 will run fine on the RIVE as long as the memory is rated appropriately
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 6:36:41 PM

That is interesting find : )

One thing is to push it and another to stay alive to last.

Looks great.

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 6:37:03 PM

newmember27 said:
Well then you're response means nothing. You may not be speaking the truth! :non: 

Just kidding. :na: 

But really, what's the logic behind choosing Mushkin ram? Why is it superior?

Yeah sure taking a 1.28v~1.35v kit and pumping a, IMO, retard amount of voltage 1.65v or +0.30v to yield a DDR3-2211 Frequency with who knows how much VCCSA Voltage then SURE you can OC the RAM -- not to mention FRYING it (the RAM) and 9/10 FRYING the CPU if you keep it that way with an excessive VCCSA -- my 'guess' 1.30v~1.40v.

Review (M379B5273DH0-YK0) - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/samsung_green_d...
Gaming (all that stupidity yielded zip) - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/samsung_green_d...

I've been using the Corsair Hydo series since it came out -- ZERO issues on over a dozen rigs. My reasoning is simple -- try cleaning (properly) a HSF with a crap load of dust magnet aluminum fins. The Hydro's a couple sucks on the vacuum and Wala! clean.
August 2, 2012 7:52:25 PM

If you would buy the samsung ram I would prob run at 1600 mhz or 1833 mhz at 1.5 volt (with lower timing).

Could that be stable at 32 gb?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 7:58:05 PM

It also depends on the mobo : ))

32GB should run fine. It looks like stable piece.

Maybe u would need to up the voltage some.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 8:11:02 PM

Stable @ (DDR3-1866) with 8xDIMM?! IDK?! Let me know.

Running 2xDIMM is a piece of cake vs 8xDIMM which isn't with UDIMM. Further, even my home PC which uses DDR3L-1600 @ 1.35v I have NO - ZIP - ZERO desire to OC > Rated. Why you ask, because there's no 'REAL' upside, I have an 8GB RAM Disk and shaving-off a few seconds vs corruption yields a real LOSS.

If you need low-profile RAM with that 'Lawnmower' heatsink then the Mushkin's I posted would be my choice for the money especially IF you're doing anything intensive. Even 1.35v RAM gets warm after hours of high use e.g. Rendering, Gaming, etc so I prefer RAM with some form of heatsink <or> a lot of airflow (noise).

Our servers, most of them, use Samsung low-voltage RDIMM but if you go in my server room the noise would shock you not to mention the cost of the dedicated climate control; I have a what's deemed a small data center (<100 servers); high volume + cool air (noise). My point is get RAM with a heatsink for heavy use.
August 2, 2012 8:11:48 PM

Having the i7-3930k run at 6/6/6/6/6/6 running at 180 watts sounds appealing. So maybe the Rampage IV Extreme.

Would that be smart with the NH-D14 as cpu heatsink/cooler?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 1:27:00 AM

One more thing to mention about the RIVE... if you do get high speed memory in the 1866+ range you have to be very careful about leaving the voltages on "auto". It set my VCCSA and VCCVTT to 1.4 volts each and my VCCPLL to 2.1 volts. FAR TOO HIGH, set these manually

Best solution

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 1:51:53 AM

Pinhedd said:
It set my VCCSA and VCCVTT to 1.4 volts each and my VCCPLL to 2.1 volts. FAR TOO HIGH, set these manually

Crap!!! WTH kit? I've seen some recalled Patriot's do that, but not Mushkin. If there's an easy path to degrade a SB, SB-E or IB CPU it's high VCCSA Voltage, and I really don't recommend anything >1.20v as the max safe VCCSA. I've seen plenty of 8GB/stick XMP's add PLL voltage, it obviously due to (needed in) the early IC's in UDIMM kits.

newmember27 said:

Sorry if I was a 'tad' cocky, but I don't particularly like arguing over RAM. If there's anything I 'get' it's RAM.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 1:59:51 AM

jaquith said:
Crap!!! WTH kit? I've seen some recalled Patriot's do that, but not Mushkin. If there's an easy path to degrade a SB, SB-E or IB CPU it's high VCCSA Voltage, and I really don't recommend anything >1.20v as the max safe VCCSA. I've seen plenty of 8GB/stick XMP's add PLL voltage, it obviously due to (needed in) the early IC's in UDIMM kits.

Sorry if I was a 'tad' cocky, but I don't particularly like arguing over RAM. If there's anything I 'get' it's RAM.

There's no field in the XMP profile for voltages other than the SDRAM VDD so it's a bug in the firmware, possibly miscomputing based on the min/max timing values. I noticed it when I built the comp and brought it down. Every time I reset the settings I have to reenter those values though so it still hasn't been fixed as of revision 2003. I run both at 1.2 volts, 1.15 isn't quite stable with the electrical load of 8 DIMMs at 2133, PLL is at 1.9.
August 3, 2012 2:04:18 AM

Alright, thanks for the advise.

@jaquith that comment wasn't directed towards you.. it was a reply to Nikorr..

A couple more questions:

Is the RIVE mobo worth it if I don't sli anytime soon?
And would this cooler work as good as the Corsair H100?

a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 1:39:06 PM

Pinhedd said:
There's no field in the XMP profile for voltages other than the SDRAM VDD so it's a bug in the firmware, possibly miscomputing based on the min/max timing values. I noticed it when I built the comp and brought it down. Every time I reset the settings I have to reenter those values though so it still hasn't been fixed as of revision 2003. I run both at 1.2 volts, 1.15 isn't quite stable with the electrical load of 8 DIMMs at 2133, PLL is at 1.9.

I recall ASUS had one really bad BIOS version that raised a few voltages for ahh 'stability' that was short lived or about 2 weeks. Yeah, in general I don't allow 'Auto' values to the CPU or RAM they can be too high, and ASUS can have problem correctly reading and implementing 'SPD' values e.g. you simply set the DRAM Frequency; I've had my share of 'OC Failed ... F1.'

Q - What prompted you to go to the (.CAP) BIOS?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 328 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 1:46:00 PM

newmember27 said:
Alright, thanks for the advise.

@jaquith that comment wasn't directed towards you.. it was a reply to Nikorr..

A couple more questions:

Yes, that one will work fine.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 2:06:44 PM

newmember27 said:
A couple more questions:

RE (@Nikorr) - he knows his stuff and never would deliberately mislead anyone, and we all have our opinions.

R4E is fine, but is really meant for 3/4-WAY and higher-end cooling. If your purpose is 'Gaming' then I'd consider the R4F (4xDIMM so 32GB 4x8GB), it has better onboard sound or the Sabertooth X79 with a 5 year warranty and the only ASUS with both VRM & Chipset active cooling.

H100 vs Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme - they're pretty much on par with each other, the H100 offers a controller for 2 or 4 fans. If the Thermaltake is 'fatter' then it might not fit many cases with LGA 2011 larger VRM heatsinks. I know my H100 barely fits with the Sabertooth X79. Neither company actully Mfg's the units.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 2:36:42 PM

jaquith said:
I recall ASUS had one really bad BIOS version that raised a few voltages for ahh 'stability' that was short lived or about 2 weeks. Yeah, in general I don't allow 'Auto' values to the CPU or RAM they can be too high, and ASUS can have problem correctly reading and implementing 'SPD' values e.g. you simply set the DRAM Frequency; I've had my share of 'OC Failed ... F1.'

Q - What prompted you to go to the (.CAP) BIOS?

I've used every firmware version since I got the board at 0901 and every single one has improved stability. This has long been the case with Asus, their firmware updates have never actually caused problems for me so I generally just do them out of habit. Since 1305 I haven't gotten the dreaded 0x62 deadlock and overall stability has been quite improved. However, I'm surprised that none of these have addressed the high XMP auto voltage issues nor the ASMedia 106x OPROM stomping issue. The new 2000 series CAP firmwares include a lot of improvements for Windows 8 (fast boot coming soon) and since I get all my Microsoft licences for free through the MSDNAA I plan on upgrading my PC to Windows 8 / Server 12 sooner rather than later.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 3:22:26 PM

To my understanding the (.CAP) simply made it easier for ASUS to template the BIOS, and the only Windows 8 addition (UEFI) that I'm aware of are the high res logo and GUI @ boot.

Right now I'm @ 1203 which is the last (.ROM) BIOS version, and going to a (.CAP) there's no going back. I might try the 2nd installment of (.CAP) if the feedback is good.

My experience with BIOS revisions is a mixed bag, and some do nothing where I don't have a troublesome component(s), some simply play with voltages which can be good or bad, or some simply are terrible and then you're left with the task of a downgrade (if you can).

edit/I have the TechNet subscription. So I assume that you're a student with a MSDNAA (DreamSpark).

ASUS needs to fix this problem which seems to affect anyone who has updated their BIOS from the OEM:

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 3:27:05 PM

The RIVE 2003 revision has a backdoor to revert to a 1000 series revision. The 2002 does not. I haven't tested it because it's working great but I see that there's only a 2002 for the P9X79 series so you might be stuck if you go forward at this time.

I did notice though that the AI suite hasn't been properly updated for the new format though.

I get my keys through my institutions Dreamspark premium as well as the IEEE's Dreamspark premium.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 4:01:48 PM

I hadn't planned on updating the BIOS (.CAP) until there's at least a second revision. Regarding AI Suite, I've had a very long standing position not to use it. About the only need is SSD Caching (which I don't recommend -- get a dedicated SSD) and USB 3.0 acceleration which I suggest using eSATA or SATA Card for external storage (which I don't need with Windows Server @ home).

I'm very curious if ASUS Diagnostic passes the Pattern Test with your (.CAP)??
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 4:13:58 PM

Well there's no native SSD caching on the X79 anyway and anyone with that kind of money to spend should be using a dedicated SSD. One thing I do like about the ROG AI Suite is that it provides much deeper explanations of what the various settings for the DIGI+ and EPU do, far greater than what is present in the EFI interface. It's more stable than what I'm used to from what I would normally consider bloatware.

The Diagnostic Test does not pass and this doesn't surprise me.
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 12:00:26 AM

That CMOS fail doesn't surprise me either, but it's still disconcerting.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
a c 145 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 1:36:23 AM

It's probably completely irrelevant but the firmware on the Asus X79 boards is stored entirely on 64 megabit Flash ROM and not a combination of EEPROM and battery backed SRAM (CMOS). Did the validator pass before the 2000 update?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 715 V Motherboard
August 4, 2012 12:04:49 PM

On mine the OEM (shipping) BIOS passed, but once upgraded fails.
!