Computer does not boot properly 1st time; always works 2nd or 3rd time

pghMav

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hey guys, I got my first homebuilt up and running last week, and its been working pretty well overall. Quick hardware background on it:
Corsair 600t case
Asrock p67 Extreme4 motherboard
Intel I5-2500
Patriot 8GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA GTX560 TI
Corsair AX 750 Power supply
ASUS DVD drive

Anyway, I've been having one issue with the computer, and that is during start up. Whenever I boot it up for the first time after a regular shutdown, the tower will turn on and the fans and lights will activate, but nothing shows up on the screen, and my USB mouse/keyboard don't activate either. When I turn the tower off and back on, the computer fires right up and it operates perfectly fine. Sometimes this takes until the 3rd time, but most of the time its the 2nd time I do it. This wasn't happening when I first built the computer, and the only major changes I can think of is the massive windows updates. The windows updates were causing me problems as well; they were causing the computer to freeze on the shutting down screen, forcing me to manually turn the tower off. This problem has since stopped when I got all the updates successfully installed by doing them a small amount at a time. But this booting problem still remains.

Any Ideas on what might be causing this? My google searching hasn't been too successful; only found results from people who couldn't boot period. Those all said check hardware parts, try adjust ram settings/etc.

BKD

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Greetings,

I have this same issue with an older system I'm running. System will start with a black or blank screen, no post, and I have to power the system down by unplugging or switching off the PSU/power supply.

Might be due to a lack of amperage on one of the power rails. My system is running an AGP card with a molex/hard drive connector, not a graphics connector, so maybe the graphics card is drawing too much at startup. Or I have a fan that might be bad too. And I get a loud click on my speakers at startup which suggests a possible power issue. I don't know.

But I have a possible temporary work around that seems to help the system start on the first boot, for anyone out there who's having this issue and uses keyboard startup or is otherwise inconvenienced by having to do a hard reset.

Hold your auto bios key or whatever when you power up, the key combination specific to your main board that gets you into the bios even if you set the overclock wrong -in which case you also get a black screen. I believe most main boards that have that feature will start the system in a low power state or low settings. Should reduce the system load a bit. I've been having success with that the last week, but it's a hard problem to diagnose since it only does it after several hours of being down.

Thanks for posting and thanks all.

Be real, be sober.

kaarthick17

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014