Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Budget Gaming Build $700

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 2:46:11 PM

Okay so basically i'm building a PC (obviously hehe :p ) I do everything with it basically... Games like COD4/5 TF2 BF3 (when out :D ) and especially playing story lines like MOH

Build: 2 Weeks
CF/SLI: No :p 
Not Needed: Mouse, monitor,keyboard,speakers...
Help Needed: Parts overview and PSU Help

My Budget is around $700 AR (not counting the case)

PC:

Intel i5-2500k Sandy Bridge - $200 (combo)
MSI P67A-G45 - $109 AR (I need this for the internal usb 3 unlike the other boards by msi)
SAPPHIRE 6870 - $149 AR + Bundles
ASUS DVD Drive - $20
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Patriot 8GB RAM

Now for the power supply... I'm guessing to power this up i need around 500W-600W, I'm not going to CF. Also need a modular psu.

Options:

Thermaltake 775W PSU (Single Rail): $80 AR, It's pretty good i'm guessing since thermaltake is top 5 psu brands... and this fits my budget very well!

2nd choice{s}:

There is OCZ but those are really high DOA rates and i'm trying to stay clear of them...

Thanks for your help!
August 5, 2011 3:37:06 PM

1.65 is sufficient. As for HDDs get the Samsung F3 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sata III means nothing, it isn't even optimized for HDD's yet, only SSDs have gotten any real benefit from SATA III the F3 performs just as well as those two HDDs you selected and you wouldn't even notice the difference in reality.

Cheaper, just as good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Made by Enermax. Lepa is a fairly new competitor, but as stated, the company is founded by a pretty good PSU company, Enermax.
Review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/06/20/lepa_b_series...

But just noticed you don't need to CF.
Get this MB and save.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Get this PSU and save.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MIR aren't money saved. Don't list those as prices because not all companies honor them. Even reputable ones like MSI and Asus sometimes don't honor them. So just be aware, think of price before MIR, not after.
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 3:55:00 PM

aznshinobi said:
1.65 is sufficient. As for HDDs get the Samsung F3 1TB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sata III means nothing, it isn't even optimized for HDD's yet, only SSDs have gotten any real benefit from SATA III the F3 performs just as well as those two HDDs you selected and you wouldn't even notice the difference in reality.

Cheaper, just as good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Made by Enermax. Lepa is a fairly new competitor, but as stated, the company is founded by a pretty good PSU company, Enermax.
Review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/06/20/lepa_b_series...

But just noticed you don't need to CF.
Get this MB and save.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Get this PSU and save.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MIR aren't money saved. Don't list those as prices because not all companies honor them. Even reputable ones like MSI and Asus sometimes don't honor them. So just be aware, think of price before MIR, not after.


Very good info, I'll get the SATA 3 drives since they are more efficient. SATA 6 is made for SSD's.... The LEPA psu has only 1 year warranty and isn't known so well... The Tt seems much better while the OCZ has so many complaints and DOA's...
m
0
l
Related resources
August 5, 2011 3:59:20 PM

I agree with aznshinobi's advice and the reason being is that mechanical hard drives can't even spin fast enough to take advantage of sata 3.0gb/s as it is so sata 6.0gb/s isn't going to make it better or anything. However, with the new technology SSD's offer they instead can take advantage of sata 6.0gb/s and get amazing results!
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 4:02:14 PM

mgoon11 said:
I agree with aznshinobi's advice and the reason being is that mechanical hard drives can't even spin fast enough to take advantage of sata 3.0gb/s as it is so sata 6.0gb/s isn't going to make it better or anything. However, with the new technology SSD's offer they instead can take advantage of sata 6.0gb/s and get amazing results!


Thanks, Sadly i cannot find sata 3.0 gb/s samsung drives :S, I prefer 2x500 instead of 1x1000
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 4:11:16 PM

And i plan on running 2 hardrives,,

One will have all my files, one will have my programs in it... which one should have 32mb cache in it? the one with the files or programs + os?

Or should i just stick to one 1tb 32mb cache? and if i buy a SSD then do i install my os and programs into the SSD? It confuses me...
m
0
l

Best solution

August 5, 2011 4:45:07 PM

Cache doesn't matter at all. All of them would perform similarly. if you are thinking of setting up your storage like that. You should be having an SSD for progs and HDD for files. Not two HDDs.

What do you mean you can't find the f3's? I just posted them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You'll have to do some setting up in Windows to set it so that the programs install on the programs on the SSD but the files are put on the HDD. A 64gb SSD should good enough for just a few progs and windows.

LEPA certainly isn't known well but that doesn't mean anything at all. HardOCP gave it a great review and it is made by a reputable (more than that) company Enermax which makes one of the very best PSUs themselves.

Also how can you say that the TT has better reviews when it has way less reviews than the OCZ? The OCZ has 636 reviews, the TT only has 50. Of course there are going to be more reports of DOAs.

Also, the OCZ is more than enough power for you considering you won't CF. The TT is just overkill especially the XFX.
Share
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 5:01:25 PM

aznshinobi said:
Cache doesn't matter at all. All of them would perform similarly. if you are thinking of setting up your storage like that. You should be having an SSD for progs and HDD for files. Not two HDDs.

What do you mean you can't find the f3's? I just posted them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You'll have to do some setting up in Windows to set it so that the programs install on the programs on the SSD but the files are put on the HDD. A 64gb SSD should good enough for just a few progs and windows.

LEPA certainly isn't known well but that doesn't mean anything at all. HardOCP gave it a great review and it is made by a reputable (more than that) company Enermax which makes one of the very best PSUs themselves.

Also how can you say that the TT has better reviews when it has way less reviews than the OCZ? The OCZ has 636 reviews, the TT only has 50. Of course there are going to be more reports of DOAs.

Also, the OCZ is more than enough power for you considering you won't CF. The TT is just overkill especially the XFX.


I guess you are indeed right, But i will be taking this Power supply to my house in turkey with me so i'm trying to find the most reliable and least DOA combo so i don't have to pay like $40 return shipping. I guess i can just buy a psu tester though. I agree that the TT is overkill but the price isn't that bad incase i decide to upgrade later on. And by i can't find the f3 i meant i couldn't find a 500GB Version of it but none the less, the 1TB version is plenty for me. Thanks for your help.

And what i meant by the TT has less DOA's, Out of 50 reviews it has like ~5 DOA the OCZ rate is higher by 50's.
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 6:21:23 PM

I've updated the op so yeah, been loooking at non-modular but they are such a huge mess...
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 5, 2011 10:52:43 PM

Any other input?
m
0
l
August 6, 2011 2:49:22 AM

Also 4gigs of RAM should be enogh .. unless u can find 8 on sale.

Also do u have microcenter around u?
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 6, 2011 1:24:08 PM

aznshinobi said:
^? 6870 is fine.

4GB of ram is fine, but 8GB cost about $50 now, some at $60.

As for PSU Well... Here is the cheapest modular I can find.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is possibly more reliable than the OCZ.


tyvm for all your help @ other comments, I'm not hardcore gaming but the 6870 is more then enough for me for the next 1-2 years...

And 4GB ram is enough but 8GB looks better with my build, and as azn said it's only like $20 more
m
0
l
Anonymous
August 6, 2011 1:24:29 PM

Best answer selected by altay.
m
0
l
August 6, 2011 1:33:26 PM

Alright good luck! :D 
m
0
l
!