Best Prices On Digital Cameras

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 20, 2005 3:55:17 PM

I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. I know absolutely nothing
about them. I basically want to take family photos & maybe scenery that
I could enlarge and put on my walls. I'm looking for something under
$300.00. Any recommendations for a beginner?

Thanks!

BMW

More about : prices digital cameras

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 4:59:09 PM

Look on eBay. Someone who just had to have the latest thing always is
selling a barely-used digicam - and at a rock-bottom price.

See all our stuff at <a
href="http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW">Internet Gun Show!</a>
March 20, 2005 5:43:44 PM

"Look on eBay. Someone who just had to have the latest thing always is
selling a barely-used digicam - and at a rock-bottom price."
Beware of Ebay for electronics as a GENERAL RULE.
READ ALL of the DESCRIPTION!
on a "new" camera, usually buried way down deep in the text it may say
"refurbished".
If you figure in the shipping (usually inflated), it maybe cheaper to go to
a B&M store, play with a few cameras to see what you like and do not like.
At a B&M you generally have a 30 option to return it! Try that will an ebay
vender.
Staples for ONE will match any legitmate price and deduct 10% off the
difference after the match from their price to the lowest one you bring in.
I am a seller on ebay and I do well, so I do believe in the auction venue,
just very leery of electronics sellers.

March 20, 2005 7:00:49 PM

bmw wrote:
> I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. I know absolutely nothing
> about them. I basically want to take family photos & maybe scenery that
> I could enlarge and put on my walls. I'm looking for something under
> $300.00. Any recommendations for a beginner?

At $300 if you buy a camera made by a major company you will get what
you're looking for; any of them will be suitable.

Sony, Canon, Nikon, Kodak, Pentax, Olympus, Etc. Just go to a store and
buy one that feels right.

Bob
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 7:19:44 PM

Howard wrote:
> Beware of Ebay for electronics as a GENERAL RULE.
>READ ALL of the DESCRIPTION!
>on a "new" camera, usually buried way down deep in the text it may say
>"refurbished".

I'm talking about something different. I'm talking about the
digicam owner who - just having to buy himself the latest and best -
now wants to sell off his "old" digicam, barely-used, for a fraction of
retail.
I've been there. When I bought the semipro digicam I should have
bought to start with, my "old" (joke) one went on eBay very fast.
Someone got a damn good deal - much better than I got on it originally
at OfficeMax.

See all our stuff at <a
href="http://stores.ebay.com/INTERNET-GUN-SHOW">Internet Gun Show!</a>
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:54:04 PM

If you want a specific example, the Nikon Coolpix 5400 is a great one. It
sells for right at $500 but Nikon is doing a $200 rebate on it, which knocks
it down to the $250-300 area. This is a VERY high-grade type of camera, 5
megapixels, has all the manual controls of a "photographer's" camera yet
still has a full-auto dummy mode. It sold for $400 on eBay used just months
ago, sold for $700 when it was new in late 2003. It's a high-grade camera.

The only drawback to it is that it has trouble focusing in low-light, so if
it will be used a lot indoors in dim lighting, I don't recommend it in that
case.

Another option--you'd only find it used on eBay most likely--is the Sony
DSC-V1. It's a very similar type of camera, but has a holographic laser for
autofocusing, focuses great even in low-light.

Beyond those two, there are other possibilities, some of them newer cameras.
I'd try

*Canon Powershot A95
* Sony DSC-W1
* Sony DSC-P150 (now the P200)

Good sites are http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com

LRH
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 8:56:14 PM

Oh, dang. I knew I had forgot something.

Also try

*Canon S410
*Canon S500
*Fuji Finepix S550
*Panasonic DMC-FZ20 (for LOTS of zoom, costs more though)

LRH
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 12:08:36 AM

howard (dot) wrote:

> Beware of Ebay for electronics as a GENERAL RULE.
> READ ALL of the DESCRIPTION!
> on a "new" camera, usually buried way down deep in the text it may
say
> "refurbished".

eBay is usually a very bad idea for digital cameras, simply become
there are so many legitimate vendors with very good prices on new, and
guaranteed stuff. I.e. You could buy a Canon A75 from Office Max for
$150, with free shipping. This is less than used ones sell for on eBay.
Fortunately for the sellers, there are plenty of people that believe
that eBay always provides the lowest prices, even though this is rarely
the case.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 1:18:47 AM

>I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. I know absolutely nothing
>about them. I basically want to take family photos & maybe scenery that
>I could enlarge and put on my walls. I'm looking for something under
>$300.00. Any recommendations for a beginner?

Here are some things to keep in mind:

1. If you want enlargements, consider that anything under 200dpi
won't look very good, so plan to buy a camera that has enough
pixels for the size enlargement you want. For example, to get a
decent 8x10, you'll need 1600x2000, or about 3Mpix. To get a
decent 11x14, you'll need 2200x2800, or about 6Mpix.

2. If you buy a cheap camera with a mediocre lens, nothing will ever
look very good. So make sure you check out the review of the
camera you want. (http://www.exc.com/photography has a small but
growing set of user reviews. The NYT had a great article a few
months ago. If you're in NY, B&H Photo will give you honest and
helpful advice in person.)

3. Forget about using the flash to get good pictures on any camera
under $300.

4. Don't forget to include the price of a memory card, extra battery,
and carrying case in your budget.

Hope this helps.

-Joel

March 21, 2005 6:51:42 AM

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>>I'm looking to buy my first digital camera. I know absolutely nothing
>>about them. I basically want to take family photos & maybe scenery that
>>I could enlarge and put on my walls. I'm looking for something under
>>$300.00. Any recommendations for a beginner?
>>

>Here are some things to keep in mind:
>

>1. If you want enlargements, consider that anything under 200dpi
> won't look very good, so plan to buy a camera that has enough
> pixels for the size enlargement you want. For example, to get a
> decent 8x10, you'll need 1600x2000, or about 3Mpix. To get a
> decent 11x14, you'll need 2200x2800, or about 6Mpix.

How do you re-calculate for cropping?

>2. If you buy a cheap camera with a mediocre lens, nothing will ever
> look very good. So make sure you check out the review of the
> camera you want. (http://www.exc.com/photography has a small but
> growing set of user reviews. The NYT had a great article a few
> months ago. If you're in NY, B&H Photo will give you honest and
> helpful advice in person.)
>
>3. Forget about using the flash to get good pictures on any camera
> under $300.
>
>4. Don't forget to include the price of a memory card, extra battery,
> and carrying case in your budget.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>-Joel

>Free 35mm lens/digicam reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

March 21, 2005 10:26:21 AM

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:54:04 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
<noone@noone.com> wrote:

>If you want a specific example, the Nikon Coolpix 5400 is a great one. It
>sells for right at $500 but Nikon is doing a $200 rebate on it, which knocks
>it down to the $250-300 area. This is a VERY high-grade type of camera, 5
>megapixels, has all the manual controls of a "photographer's" camera yet
>still has a full-auto dummy mode. It sold for $400 on eBay used just months
>ago, sold for $700 when it was new in late 2003. It's a high-grade camera.
>
>The only drawback to it is that it has trouble focusing in low-light, so if
>it will be used a lot indoors in dim lighting, I don't recommend it in that
>case.

I second the Nikon 5400. I bought one in January from Butterfly
photo.com (see Pricegrabber.com) for $440 to my door and just got the
$200 check from Nikon. At under $250 this camera is a steal.

>Another option--you'd only find it used on eBay most likely--is the Sony
>DSC-V1. It's a very similar type of camera, but has a holographic laser for
>autofocusing, focuses great even in low-light.
>
>Beyond those two, there are other possibilities, some of them newer cameras.
>I'd try
>
>*Canon Powershot A95
>* Sony DSC-W1
>* Sony DSC-P150 (now the P200)
>
>Good sites are http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com
>
>LRH

March 21, 2005 12:47:08 PM

measekite wrote:

> How do you re-calculate for cropping?

Good software will do the calculations for you.

Bob
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 3:58:34 PM

Hi:

I just bought the Canon Powershot A95 for $269.00(including shipping) (I
had a Kodak DX3600). I like the A95 because it had a lot of manual
control and I could use AA batteries which I buy in bulk at Costco it is
also a 5megapixel camera. I also got a memory card at Costco as well.
I bought the camera on line at Amazon - signed up for their credit card
which allowed me to save another $30.00.

my 2 cents
carol

Oliver Costich wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:54:04 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
> <noone@noone.com> wrote:
>

>>If you want a specific example, the Nikon Coolpix 5400 is a great one. It
>>sells for right at $500 but Nikon is doing a $200 rebate on it, which knocks
>>it down to the $250-300 area. This is a VERY high-grade type of camera, 5
>>megapixels, has all the manual controls of a "photographer's" camera yet
>>still has a full-auto dummy mode. It sold for $400 on eBay used just months
>>ago, sold for $700 when it was new in late 2003. It's a high-grade camera.
>>
>>The only drawback to it is that it has trouble focusing in low-light, so if
>>it will be used a lot indoors in dim lighting, I don't recommend it in that
>>case.
>

> I second the Nikon 5400. I bought one in January from Butterfly
> photo.com (see Pricegrabber.com) for $440 to my door and just got the
> $200 check from Nikon. At under $250 this camera is a steal.
>

>>Another option--you'd only find it used on eBay most likely--is the Sony
>>DSC-V1. It's a very similar type of camera, but has a holographic laser for
>>autofocusing, focuses great even in low-light.
>>
>>Beyond those two, there are other possibilities, some of them newer cameras.
>>I'd try
>>
>>*Canon Powershot A95
>>* Sony DSC-W1
>>* Sony DSC-P150 (now the P200)
>>
>>Good sites are http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com
>>
>>LRH

Anonymous
March 23, 2005 4:54:03 AM

>>1. If you want enlargements, consider that anything under 200dpi
>> won't look very good, so plan to buy a camera that has enough
>> pixels for the size enlargement you want. For example, to get a
>> decent 8x10, you'll need 1600x2000, or about 3Mpix. To get a
>> decent 11x14, you'll need 2200x2800, or about 6Mpix.
>>

>How do you re-calculate for cropping?

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean the cropping factro of the
camera? That's already been taken into account. Do you mean what
happens if you want to crop the picture, for example, to enlarge only
part of it? You have to make sure that the part you're going to
enlarge have enough pixels to make for a good enlargement. For
example, if you have a 6MPix camera, but you zoom in a bit, you end up
with only 3Mpix, still enough for an 8x10.

-Joel