Sign in with
Your question

Front Panel USB and Audio Connection Question

Last response: in Motherboards
August 2, 2012 6:51:15 AM

I have the Coolermaster HAF X case with a front panel connection that was unplugged when my computer was being worked on..I am unable to locate where this cord (photo link attached) connects to my motherboard..

My motherboard is an ASUS P8P67 EVO.

http://s1060.photobucket.com/albums/t454/sho69607/
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 11:31:24 AM

is that the firewire (IEEE 1394a) connector?
the only thing i can tell by the pic is that it is a connector.
m
l
a c 151 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 12:20:21 PM

Off hand I would guess that is is a fan connector on profile. Are there 3 or 4 pins sticking out next to the white tab?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 1:55:03 PM

That kind of looks like the wire/connector that connects the fan's LED to the switch on the front panel. Press the button and see if the front fan lights up.
m
l
August 2, 2012 6:08:02 PM

ya the LED does not light up..so maybe this is another thing that was never plugged in. I guess I look through more wires in there until I find the one that connects to the mobo.
m
l
August 2, 2012 6:08:44 PM

C12Friedman said:
Off hand I would guess that is is a fan connector on profile. Are there 3 or 4 pins sticking out next to the white tab?

there is two pins and one white tab above it
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 6:11:47 PM

how about doing a process of elimination and find out what it is not?
m
l
a c 151 V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 6:15:14 PM

I think Obsolete nailed it, I'd be looking not on the mobo but on the chassis fans for it's mate
m
l
August 2, 2012 6:32:09 PM

that was indeed the LED wire for the front chassis fan. that is hooked up at working correctly..But still no power from anything from the front panel..that includes audio and the mic/headphone jack..Trying to identify what cord or wire it is that needs to be plugged in for that to work
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 6:43:34 PM

Look for a black cable with a connector on the end that says HD Audio/AC 97. It should plug onto a set of pins somewhere on the lower left corner of your motherboard (AAFP). Use the connector that says HD Audio, it will only fit one way.
m
l
August 2, 2012 6:55:21 PM

I actually have two separate cables that say that. One that says AC 97 (which is the one currently plugged in) so I guess Ill switch it out then..

Also found a USB cable from the front panel that was unplugged.. when I plugged it in I received an error in BIOS saying USB over current status.

Thanks for all your help, By the way.

EDIT: Ok Front Panel Audio/mic is working. Now its just the Front USB thats the issue
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 7:07:08 PM

If you unplug that USB cable and power on the computer, do you still get that message? Also, check that there isn't something shorting out around the I/O shield by the rear USB ports or even the motherboard's alignment in the case. Sometimes a little piece of the shield with get stuck inside the USB port.
m
l
August 2, 2012 7:08:35 PM

obsolete99 said:
If you unplug that USB cable and power on the computer, do you still get that message? Also, check that there isn't something shorting out around the I/O shield by the rear USB ports or even the motherboard's alignment in the case. Sometimes a little piece of the shield with get stuck inside the USB port.

No I do not. Everything boots up correctly when that is not plugged in
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 7:15:13 PM

By any chance, does the USB cable you're plugging in say 1394 on it?
m
l
August 2, 2012 7:29:04 PM

obsolete99 said:
By any chance, does the USB cable you're plugging in say 1394 on it?

No it does not. It just Says "USB" on the plastic connector. and nothing about 1394 on the cable. there is also 3 different usb connections on the motherboard labeled "USB1314, USB1112, and USB910."
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 7:32:59 PM

Oh, okay. Just in case, the 1394 is firewire and should never be connected to a USB header. So which was the cable plugged into when you received the error message? Have you tried using each of them?
m
l
August 2, 2012 7:37:29 PM

obsolete99 said:
Oh, okay. Just in case, the 1394 is firewire and should never be connected to a USB header. So which was the cable plugged into when you received the error message? Have you tried using each of them?

I believe I tried 1314 and 1112.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2012 9:37:14 PM

It still sounds like you have a short somewhere. Check the USB ports on the front panel. Any sort of physical damage, plastic or metal bent/crooked/misaligned?
m
l
August 3, 2012 12:33:07 AM

obsolete99 said:
It still sounds like you have a short somewhere. Check the USB ports on the front panel. Any sort of physical damage, plastic or metal bent/crooked/misaligned?

Ya one of the USB Ports is damaged on the front panel. But everything else is in good condition.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2012 1:00:54 AM

That could very well be the cause of the error message. Is it damaged beyond repair to where it would have to be replaced? If you can no longer return/exchange the case and it is still under warranty, you might be able to get a new front panel PCB from Cooler Master.
m
l
August 3, 2012 2:28:23 AM

obsolete99 said:
That could very well be the cause of the error message. Is it damaged beyond repair to where it would have to be replaced? If you can no longer return/exchange the case and it is still under warranty, you might be able to get a new front panel PCB from Cooler Master.

Yeah I had a feeling that might have been the issue..I submitted a request for a replacement part. I believe it is under limited warranty for 2 years, so hopefully I can get a replacement.
m
l
!