Sign in with
Your question

Asus x79 Sabertooth - Memory(?) Issue

Last response: in Memory
August 2, 2012 10:23:10 AM

Hi there.
So...I have just finished building a setup with an X79, a 3930K i7, GSkill Ares 2133Mhz 4x 4GB sticks (16GB total), among other things.

The problem i seem to be having is that the BIOS is not registering all 16GB of ram, instead only 12GB.
I went into Tools and checked out the "Asus Dram SPD information" and it is giving me an "Abnormal" warning for the DIMM-D1 slot.
I have tried taking the Ram out of the slot and re-seating it 3 times now.
I also swapped ram sticks around to see if it was a ram problem but the "abnormal" error still remains for the DIMM_D1 slot.
The ram was running at 1920Mhz, so i dropped it down to 1600 something but that didnt do anything.
when i look in CPUz its telling me theres a full 16GB there, but Windows system info says the same as BIOS (12gb).

So yeah, its a bit of a pickle, a frustrating time consuming pickle.

If anyone knows something that could help, please do :) 
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 2, 2012 11:39:38 AM

i would believe the slot is flonky and conact ASUS.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 2, 2012 1:51:57 PM

Hmmm...instead contact the Retailer and RMA the G.SKILL you have a bad stick. I am becoming less and less a fanboy of G.SKILL. A simple test is to swap stick around and if a different slot is 'bad' i.e. abnormal then it's the RAM not the MOBO.

I assume the AI Overclock Tuner -> XMP and Profile 1 is being used.

Knock on wood I've had my hands on a few ASUS Sabertooth X79's and it's typically the other components that are the root issue.
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2012 6:18:35 AM

Heres a quick update on the situation:
I removed everything and set the motherboard up on a block of foam, attached everything and ran it with all 16gb of ram (i had a feeling something may of been shorting out). That didnt work, BUT!
I re-seated the cpu and cleaned some of the thermal paste away (it had spewed out a bit) and im currently running it on 4gb (1 stick) in the slot (DIMM-D1) that was previously not working.
so yeah, that a bit wierd, im going to shut down and add another stick of ram, hopefully progress in that fashion
m
l
August 5, 2012 7:15:14 AM

OK!
motherboard is now recognizing all 16gb! :D 
im not %100 what fixed the problem but what i did to get to this point was:
Remove the motherboard, stick duct tape over each mounting hole (i had a funny feeling there was a ground/shorting issue).
Re-seated the cpu and made sure there wasnt a ton of thermal paste.
Re-assembled the rest of the pc and booted up
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
August 5, 2012 2:04:57 PM

good for you on the ingenuity though duct tape(?) well if it works glad you got it sorted. sorry couldn't be more help and thanks for letting us know what you did.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
August 5, 2012 2:08:12 PM

Yeah, you don't want grounding shorts nor excess TIM getting into the CPU pins. Unless your case has 'real' standoffs (vs punch-outs) a couple layers of electrical tape is your best bet.

Seems like you're moving in the right direction.

Real standoffs:
m
l
!