Sign in with
Your question

My pc will not fully boot, keeps restarting

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2011 4:17:28 PM

Hi everyone, a few days ago i put my PC into sleep mode and when i went to turn it back on a few hours later; it started to to boot and 3 seconds later it made a sort of, violent, noise and shut off. It would continue to turn on for 3 seconds shut down, and repeat that. I think it is either my Motherboard or Power Supply. Ill put my specs below. Any help is very greatly appeciated!

Specs:
Case: Antec DF-35 Mid Tower
Hard Drive: Caviar Black 1TB
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Power Supply: Corsair HX750W 750 Watt Modular PSU
Video Card: EVGA GTX 570 1280MB GDDR5
RAM: Kingston Hyper X 8GB 1600MHz
DVD Drive: LG 24x
Cooler: Noctua NH-C14

Other Notes: I did use the Gigabyte Smartboost to OC to 4.1GHz, i dont know if that really means much.

More about : fully boot restarting

August 5, 2011 4:25:21 PM

What was your processor speed before the OC to 4.1? Also, what was said violent noise? Sounds silly I know, but was it a crunching, grinding, banging, popping or whatever noise?
m
l
August 5, 2011 4:29:32 PM

it was stock oc, i forgot to say my processor is a 2500k i had it at default 3.3HGz and the noise is sort of a grinding noise, i think its from my hard drive making that noise
m
l
Related resources
August 5, 2011 4:51:24 PM

I used to have a CD drive that made an awful grinding noise whenever I turned it on...funnily enough bashing it made it go back to normal...not that I recommending bashing your computer...

That is a pretty big over clock I reckon, though I am new to it so I could be wrong, but that would explain the booting for 3 seconds before shutting down again. Can you access your BIOS and stay there without the computer shutting down, I ask as it may be something that the computer does after that 3 seconds, and if you could remain in the bios it would rule out the PSU.
m
l
August 5, 2011 4:56:12 PM

So, I just quickly looked into the processor OC and it seems that's not a bad OC at all, presuming of course you did it all right. From what I can gather it is a stable speed as long as cooling is sufficient.
m
l
August 5, 2011 4:59:16 PM

i cant get into the bios at all, the pc wont stay on enough to get into the bios. I think it is the power supply that has failed on me
m
l
August 5, 2011 5:04:34 PM

It sounds like it to me, though I am confused as to why it lets you start up at all. In my experience, when they go, it all goes and it wont come back on even slightly. But then, my experience as I have said is limited. Have you opened up the computer? I gues you probably have checked and would have said otherwise but I have to ask, no parts are physically broken are they? Also, what does the PSU smell like? Does it have that burning electronics smell like when you blow a fuse or whatever?

tell me to shush if Im asking too many questions but I am just finding it hard to believe it IS the PSU.
m
l
August 5, 2011 7:32:24 PM

i unplugged every thing from the power supply and when i turn it on it stays on for a few seconds and turns off. It smells normal, i dont smell anything burning, or burnt. no parts are physically broken either
m
l
August 5, 2011 10:02:33 PM

Check to make sure that the cpu cooler is properly attached. I had that happen to me a while ago and it took me about 2 days of looking at different things and unplugging and plugging them in again to finally find it. What happens is that it overheats that quickly and auto shut offs so it doesn't harm the processor. Another thing to try is go to your local pc repair shop or best buy and get a power supply tester. It should only cost you about $20 and all you do is plug into the main mobo power connector and it tells you if it is working correctly. Anyone trying to figure out if the psu is bad should have one of these. No more trying with the paper clip and hurting yourself and frying the psu at the same time. I have seen that done many times.
m
l
August 5, 2011 11:47:27 PM

i have had the pc working perfectly fine for about 3 weeks and this just randomly happened. I made sure i aligned the CPU properly but ill go look for one of those testers. Does it plug into the 24Pin Slot?
m
l
August 6, 2011 12:45:19 AM

taylorwallace9 said:
i have had the pc working perfectly fine for about 3 weeks and this just randomly happened. I made sure i aligned the CPU properly but ill go look for one of those testers. Does it plug into the 24Pin Slot?

it should havent seen one that hasnt yet. it will just be the cooler not seated right sometimes if they are on there just right to begin with you won't have a problem until you move the case or even parts around the case just make sure that it is still tightened down properly.
m
l
August 16, 2011 12:54:53 AM

sorry for the late reply everyone, but i had to reset the motherboard and it works fine now. Thanks for your help everyone
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:33:16 PM

btw how did you reset the mobo, bc im having the same problemo
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:38:08 PM

jjb8675309 said:
btw how did you reset the mobo, bc im having the same problemo

I had to reset the CMOS, theres a 3 or 4 pin connector on the mobo and you must use a jumper cap. Just take it to a pc shop and they will do it for you
m
l
September 10, 2012 6:49:30 PM

lol I just touched a paperclip to the pins worked fine, problem solved, I refuse to ever pay a pc shop repairman

thanks
m
l
!