Sign in with
Your question

Advice on a motherboard, please.

Last response: in Systems
August 5, 2011 4:22:30 PM

Hi, so I'm hoping it will be ok to post this here and not in the mother board and memory section, but here goes...

I am wanting to start building my own system with the intention of creating not only a great machine for using as a server, but also for gaming to the extreme. I am already learning about overclocking and other such matters, though I could use some advice on where to start.

My intention is to buy a different part for the computer-to-be every month. So of course I would start with the case, then the mother board, then a processor, then ram, then GPU and so on and so on.
The case I don't need much help with (unless there is something I need warning about) however I would really appreciate some advice on a mother board. My specifications for such are limited, in that all I want is for it to be upgradeable over the next couple of years (I don't want to build a computer this year and find out that next year it can never be upgraded) also I would like it to not be insanely expensive, I am willing to pay up to £100(ish) and lastly I would like it to be an AMD motherboard as I hear tell that AMD are better for overclocking and also gaming. If that's wrong please don't hesitate to tell me about intel boards.

That's about all for now, so I guess it's just a waiting game and a hope for a reply. I don' know how I could but if anyone needs my help feel free to ask, who knows maybe I can answer the question, in the mean time I'll be flicking through the forums. Thanks folks!

Si

More about : advice motherboard

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2011 4:50:26 PM

first: Computers change so fast that a piecemeal purchase is a very bad idea. Far better to save up and buy everything at one time.

that said, what sort of budget are you looking at for your total build?
August 5, 2011 5:00:17 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
first: Computers change so fast that a piecemeal purchase is a very bad idea. Far better to save up and buy everything at one time.

that said, what sort of budget are you looking at for your total build?

I'm honestly not too sure, I usually have between £80 and £120 per month spare to spend on these kind of things. I understand where you are coming from with buying at once, lord knows the computer market is changing faster than I would like. However, my ability to save money is shockingly bad. So if I buy the pieces but by bit then I can put the component to the side and not worry that I will be spending it ;) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 5, 2011 5:11:40 PM

an example of what I mean: my PC (see my signature) cost $600 new back when I bought it (March 31), 4.5 months later, the EXACT same PC would cost me $540.
!