Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500K getting hot, damage?

Last response: in CPUs
November 3, 2011 11:28:44 AM

I had been playing BF3 with my newly installed i5-2500K and after about 5 hours on and off gaming looked at a heat report and fond that a non overclocked chip was running at between 80 and 89 degrees at times.

I think its simply that I've not done the TIm properly, possibly combined with not putting the heatsink on well. Not very easy on my board I found out.

The real question is: Have a I done some real damage to my chip?

More about : 2500k hot damage

a b à CPUs
November 3, 2011 11:34:02 AM

That is not good. I would shut your computer off very soon and reseat the heatsink. Is this the stock cooler? Make sure the white/clear part of the pushpin is all of the way into the MB before pushing in the black part. Also, if you remove the cooler you will have to replace and reapply the thermal paste.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=602&pgno=...
a c 102 à CPUs
November 3, 2011 11:49:29 AM

Mikeyboy1107 said:
I had been playing BF3 with my newly installed i5-2500K and after about 5 hours on and off gaming looked at a heat report and fond that a non overclocked chip was running at between 80 and 89 degrees at times.

I think its simply that I've not done the TIm properly, possibly combined with not putting the heatsink on well. Not very easy on my board I found out.

The real question is: Have a I done some real damage to my chip?
Most likely not. When it gets too hot, the CPU throttles; if that isn't enough, it shuts down. That prevents damage when a heatsink is not installed correctly or when the fan fails.

EXT64 is correct; you definitely should reseat the HSF.
November 3, 2011 11:51:27 AM

Thanks, thats relief to know. I will get to doing that at the first opportunity.
!