BF3 & i7-2600

jk47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Most games at max settings don't seem to bring the CPU temp beyond 60 degrees C.

However, BF3 is taxing the hell out of my i7, and after an hour of single player - the temp holds right at 70 degrees C. If I kept going without monitoring, I feel I would pass the danger threshold at some point.

CPU is fan-cooled, case has 4 fans. Anyone have thoughts on a way to correct this? Temp is normally fine..

You can go for a better cpu heatsink, or leave it alone and keep your three year warranty for retail box cpus. 70c is within Intel's acceptable range. Newer cpus run very warm. 70 doesn't surprise me at all. This coolermaster http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 is a common heatsink you may find at your vender. But if you start touching components, I recommend a good ground esd strap to prevent damaging any of your components. I worked at dell austin tx handling components, and we were strapped in at all times and monitored. I've seen firsthand the damage that can happen. If you don't have much patience and much money, you may be better off leaving your system alone and living with the higher temps. You may find a better heatsink only lowers your temps a few degrees.

nomangod

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
but definitely there is something wrong, i got the same situation..and only with bf3...i didnt have this issue when i played beta....now i can see that temp is around 85 and higher..but there is more weird things..usage of cpu is around 50-55% so maybe there are some issues with optimization, or maybe bf3 has some problems with multicore cpus? it's weird

jk47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Yes I only have this issue with BF3. A couple points of reference at max settings:

Crisis 2 - 60 degrees max
Just Cause 2 - 55 degrees max

At this point I've stopped playing BF3, I hate having to stress about temps while playing a game :(

I have an Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with a push pull fan set on my Intel® Core™ i7-2600K and it works very nice. Idle temps in the low 30s and the highest I have seen in mid-50s. A 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) would only void the warranty if it caused the problem.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

The Tcase for the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K is 72.6c but this isnt really the same as the processor temperature but I still try to keep it under 75c. The Thermtrip# for the Intel Core i5-2500K is over 120c. Thermtrip# is the final shut off if you are overheating. If you hit Thermtrip then you most likely will have damage somewhere in your system but the processor should still be able to be saved.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

jk47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Oh sweet, thanks for the answers everyone.

I think I'll keep using it as is - if it ever climbs to 80 C, sounds like no harm will be done... worst-case I'll send 'er back to Intel.