$600-700 Gaming Rig Help! =)

Kore

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Hi guys! I got a friend who really wants to build a gaming computer on a budget of $600-700. We're going reuse his case, dvd player, and hard drive. We want to reuse his PSU http://www.power-on.com/atx12vg300bt.html if possible to save cash and allow him to purchase better other parts. He also wants to hook his computer up to his HDMI TV, so an HDMI GPU is a must.

We need: CPU, Mother Board, Ram, and an HDMI GPU. (And a PSU *if* the current one would mess up the build)

1) What is your budget?
$600-700

2) Are there any brands/resellers that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Nope

3) What tasks will you be performing with the Desktop?
Gaming and surfing.

4) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
Shogun total war 2, Civ 5, WoW, The Old Republic (on release), Battlefield 3 (on release)

5) Do you mind buying parts online without seeing them in person?
Online is fine

6) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS X, Linux, etc.

Windows 7

7) How much hard drive space is needed?

Not necessary - we're reusing his old harddrive, and when he decides its time for a new one, we'll pick one up.

8) What size desktop would you like?(All in one, compact, large)

We're reusing his ATX

9) Does the case need to be stylish?
We're reusing his ATX

10) What resolution will the screen run at? One or Two screens?
I really don't know, he wants to plug the computer into an HDTV.

11) Do you need any particular hardware?(Ports, HDD slots, double DVD drives, etc.)
Must have an HDMI GPU that plugs into a HD tv

12) How would you rate your technical skills?

13) Have you ever built a desktop before?
A few, I seem to average 1 per year.

14) Do you need wireless connectivity?

Yes

15) When are you going to be building this?
Next Week

16) Have you considered a pre-built desktop? Or even a notebook?
Pass.

17) Are you going to overclock?
Apparently the budget is too tight for overclocking.

Other

Once again: HDMI GPU mandatory - he really wants to connect it to an HD tv of his. Also, hes got a PSUhttp://www.power-on.com/atx12vg300bt.html we want to reuse if it'll lead to a better computer given the $600-700 budget.

Thank you so much for your time guys =) We really appreciate it!

Kore

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
ScrewySqrl i didn't check those out and I'm at my house atm, so i've emailed him, hopefully he'll respond quickly with that fan and hard drive info.

Kore

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Does that $600 computer include PSU, Case, hard drive, and dvd player? We're trying to save cash where we can to get him the best computer possible for $600-700.

yes, it did. I only had 2x500 GB drives because I had one to cannibalize from my old PC.

The system was $700.02 including windows 7 in April.

Here's how I'd suggest doing it now:

i5-2400: $190
AS Rock H61-M/U3S3: $75
Team Elite 8 GB DDR3-1333: $47
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HDD: $60
Xigmatek 400W 80+ Bronze PSU: $35
HIS HD6850 w/ 2 free games: $160
Rosewill R102 micro ATX mini tower: $30
Rosewill Blue LED 120mm fan: $8
Masscool 80mm fan: $3
22x DVD burner: $19

total $627

It'll be very solid for any games you want to play for several years.
you can save $22 by using 4 GB instead of 8 GB, (Corsair has a kit for $25), and/or $20 by using a 500 GB Hard drive instead of a 1TB ($40 vs $60)

The fans are for the front and side of the case. the Blue LEDs look very nice through the front dust cover. The case itself looks very "Office PC" but its basically a chopped down mid-tower, which could be an advatange at a LAN Party -- its small enough to tuck under your arm to carry it!

Kore

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Thank you very much for the replies, Screwy.

I was wondering, does he really need to buy a new PSU? Isn't the current one sufficient (url=http://www.power-on.com/atx12vg300bt.html)? Would a new one make a difference?

Kore

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Would there be any issues with using a micro ATX mobo in a regular sized ATX case? (since we'll be keeping the current case) Will it fit, etc.?

Would there be an equivalent regular sized mobo? Would it cost more or less? =P I'm hoping maybe the micro-sizing of the mobo increases its cost and i could save my buddie some more cash.

Kore

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Looks like i got my own answer:

microATX was explicitly designed to be backward-compatible with ATX. The mounting points of microATX motherboards are a subset of those used on full-size ATX boards, and the I/O panel is identical. Thus, microATX motherboards can be used in full-size ATX cases. Furthermore, most microATX motherboards generally use the same power connectors as ATX motherboards,[6] thus permitting the use of full-size ATX power supplies with microATX boards.

Pretty sure I'll go with your build, Screwy. I'll post again if I hit any snags with it. Thank you very much =)

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
you need an i5-2500K (the K processors are for overclocking), and a p67 or z68 mobo to overclock. H61 and H67 mobos cannot overclock, and very few of them support dual card setups. You will also need a higher wattage psu to run dual graphics cards, depending on which cards.
These things cost more money, and not everyone will make use of them.

Kore

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Alright, money is tight, so that settles it, no overclocking. Thank you very much for your time and considerable knowledge, Genghiskron =) I'll edit the list.