I5-3570K + Asrock Z77 Pro4-M 1155, getting no HDMI output?

zhisc

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Hello, I have recently put together a HTPC with i5-3570K and Asrock Z77 Pro4-M 1155 mATX motherboard. I do not have a dedicated graphic card installed. However, I couldn't get any signal from the onboard HDMI output. VGA works though...Do I have the wrong setting in the Bios or did I get a bad motherboard?

Thanks.

[strike]OK, did u installed the Virtu driver?[/strike]

zhisc

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Thanks for everyone's input. The issue got solved to some extent. However, more issues appeared...Here is what happened.

Step 1>. Since D-SUB works fine, I powered on the computer with ONLY D-SUB connected to a Dell monitor. After the Windows 7 was loaded, I then plugged in the HDMI cable and connected it to my Toshiba HD TV. Suddenly I got signal through the HDMI and I could change dual monitor settings without any issue. I ReStarted the computer a few times, no issue either.

Step2>. However, weird things happened when I shut down the computer completely. All the settings seemed lost… I still had D-SUB connected to a Dell monitor and HDMI connected to Toshiba HDTV when computer was off. And then I powered it back on. Suddenly I lost the HDMI signal again! The weirdest part is that when Windows 7 was loaded I tried to unplug and replug in the HDMI, windows 7 didn't detect my Toshiba TV at all. With D-SUB and HDMI connected at the same time, I rebooted, powered off&on many times, still no signal through the HDMI.

Step3>.In the end, I unplugged the HDMI completely, leaving only the D-SUB connected; powered off completely and on again, basically repeated the step 1…When Windows 7 was loaded, I plugged in the HDMI. Suddenly, Toshiba HDTV was detected again…

I have updated the Bios firmware as well as the VGA driver. I also set the Bios to enable multiple monitors. However, the issue still exists: I have to shut down the computer completely -> turn it on with ONLY D-SUB connected -> plug in HDMI when Win 7 is running. Every time I shut down the computer, I have to repeat the process to get HDMI working…This is annoying. Is there anyway that I can just start my computer with ONLY HDMI? Or did I really get a bad board???

Thanks!

N3ologic

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
:( any updates?

I am about to purchase a similar setup, and I'm not looking forward to having an extra monitor around just to setup the HDMI display.

Just a note, my old system that Im replacing does this often with my HDTV, its like the settings for the display are lost and it needs to be switched on from win7 again.

zhisc

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
update:

I tried to contact Asrock through the email address they provided. But I never heard anything back from them. There is no 1-800 number to call either. The instruction for repair is vague at best. So if you are planning to buy Asrock motherboards, be aware of the terrible customer service cz' there is NONE!

So I brought the motherboard to Microcenter. Knowing it's too late to have a return/replacement, I asked the manager if they would handle the warranty. Luckily, Microcenter decided to give me a brand NEW Asrock motherboard without any charges. They said my purchased was made in July and it's not that old. The new board works fine. HDMI was recognized at startup. I am happy with that.

Buyers beware, Asrock's costumer service doesn't exist. There are a lot of hurdles to go through their warranty. I personally would NEVER buy an AsRock product. However, I think I will shop at Microcenter more to support good business practice!

Thank you, Microcenter!