Damaged CPU slot?

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Hi,

I was cleaning thermal paste off my CPU slot 'frame' (LGA2011 slot) on my Asus Rampage IV Gene (There was no CPU in the CPU slot at the time) with a microfibre cloth and it snagged on to the mini 'prongs' which make up the surface where you mount the CPU itself.

I stupidly yanked the cloth off and doing so pulled out one of the 'prongs' so it's now raised out a bit and slightly bent. I was a bit worried that I had damaged the slot so I put everything back in (CPU and fan).

The computer appears to be running fine but I wondering if I have done serious damage to the slot or will encounter any problems down the line?
The problem is I don't know what I damaged and if it's important?

Sorry if that was confusing to read, I will retype/reword anything if you need clarificiation.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Sorry about making 2 threads... the first time it said I was 'flooding' as I thought bit didn't go through.

G

if anything bad was going to happen, it would have happened when you pressed the power button.

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Seems I can't delete one of the threads :/

@loonian

Well that is reassuring I guess so it's not a big deal then?

G

PM area 51 the moderator that replied on the other thread.

it is a big deal but you got lucky. be careful next time, actually don't remove the cpu unless you have to because the bent prong may weaken and break.

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
Just to clarify it's not the the central bit of the slot where the chip(?) on the CPU goes in , it's one of the surounding prongs.

Is it possible to just push it back in or is that too risky?

G

i would leave it alone. if it really has you obsessing to fix it get some jewelers tools before attempting anything.

Toney90

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I'm pretty clumsy so any job requiring *that* kind of precision would be a bit of a no go for me.

As much as I want to fix it, if leaving it alone meant it will carrying on working for a reasonable time frame then I will go for that option.

Thanks looniam :)