Upgrade old computer's CPU

mario0204

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Hi, i have like a really old computer(Gateway Dx4720-03) i've had it for around 4 years now. I am trying to play APB, everything is good except my CPU. I have an Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2.50GHz so i am trying to upgrade it. I have a Gateway MS-7399 (SOCKET775 M/B) motherboard. I don't know what CPU to buy + don't even know if the motherboard will support it. my budget is about $50-150. any help choosing a CPU that will work on my computer will be greatly appreciated. Do i have to get new fan if i get new CPU?

Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
CPU
Intel Pentium E5200 @ 2.50GHz 43 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-4-4-17)
Motherboard
Gateway MS-7399 (SOCKET775 M/B) 42 °C
Graphics
HP S2031 (1600x900@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTS 450 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Power supply: 585W

That's the problem with oem systems. Unless they give you some upgrade options, it's a guessing game whether a cpu will work. I would search for a used quad on craigslist or anandtech's for sale forum; the new ones are too expensive. Or post your question on gateway's website; maybe they have a forum.

That's for you to decide. If you decide to sell it intact, backup the basic windows installation and format the drive; then use the backup for a fresh windows installation. You might get $250 for the basic box without the GTS 450, which you can use in your next system.

Then I would check gateway's website for a bios update for your board. But be careful flashing the bios; you'll need the correct flash program and read some directions, or you will end up with a dead motherboard. As I pointed out, oem systems aren't designed for upgrades. Once you see the limited bios settings, you'll understand why.

The other reason I won't recommend a cpu unless I'm sure it works is the short window to return it. Newegg.com, one of the largest e-retailers in the world, only gives you 7 days to return a cpu. If you're determined to reuse your old motherboard, you better be sure the new cpu works. Newegg charges a restocking fee of about 20% for most returns.

1) You can't really upgrade OEM prebuilt computers thats why I will never buy another one again. From now on I build all computer wheather its for gaming or home/office because I am now convinced all OEM computers are junk.

2) At this point choices are so few and the coputer is so old is it really even worth the time, effort, money and headache trying to upgrade such an old computer. At this point you would be better off just trashing it and starting over.

3) If you decide to do that you can buy prebuilt again or build your own. Personally I would build your own its not hard to do and you'll get an all around better computer with better quality parts and upgrading options.