New ~850 build CAD

Jakk89

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: next 2 weeks - a month(depending on whether i get them all at once or seperately on sale)

Budget Range: ~850 cad so it'll come up around 1k

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, web surfing

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: canadacomputers.com, ncix.ca, directcanada.com, any other site that ships to canada(preferrably free shipping)

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: intel CPU

Overclocking: Maybe(will probably do so in the future but not right away)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe(ditto top)

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'd like to get some recommendations on cases under $80ish, am looking at thermaltake's A90 for $65, what do you guys think?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the parts i've selected for now

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 - $189.99(-20 rebate)

CPU: i5 2500k - $210

GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 Windforce - $184.99(-30 rebate)

Ram: G.Skill 8gb(2x4) DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 1.25V Memory Kit - $59.61

PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 750W 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze SLI Power Supply 135mm Fan - $92.54

DVD drive: Not really picky as long as it works.

Hard drive: Preferrably 1tb or 1.5tb.

Case: Thermaltake a90 - $64.99

Total = 802.12(before rebates) + dvd drive + hd.

What changes would u guys recommend? Is the G.Skill 1.25v ram better than the 1.5? They are almost the same in price. I might get another 6870 in a year or two to keep up with better looking games.

I've very conflicted when it comes to choosing cases. Is the Thermaltake a90 good? Everyone keeps recommending Antec 300 which i've read have problems fitting bigger cards like the 6870, and the rosewill challenger which doesn't seem to be available through canadian sites/retailers.

Solution
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX33373%28ME%29.aspx

Same Mobo for a lot less... just pricematch it to NCIX

I would pick up a 500gb HDD they are generally faster WD caviar blacks are good and so are samsung spinpoint f3's.

Also now with the Mobo savings you can drop a nice GTX 560 ti or HD 6950.

Go to this site shopbot.ca and check all your parts, you can then pricematch them all to NCIX and save on shipping.

Also I don't mean to advertise another site but if you check out hardware canucks they generally know canadian prices a lot better. However what you have there looks extremely good other than the GPU.

jjthomp

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX33373%28ME%29.aspx

Same Mobo for a lot less... just pricematch it to NCIX

I would pick up a 500gb HDD they are generally faster WD caviar blacks are good and so are samsung spinpoint f3's.

Also now with the Mobo savings you can drop a nice GTX 560 ti or HD 6950.

Go to this site shopbot.ca and check all your parts, you can then pricematch them all to NCIX and save on shipping.

Also I don't mean to advertise another site but if you check out hardware canucks they generally know canadian prices a lot better. However what you have there looks extremely good other than the GPU.

Solution

Jakk89

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
Alright, i think i'm going to pick everything up then. Don't think i can wait for for the back to school sales with that rebate on the motherboard. Thanks for your help jjthomp.

Jakk89

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I won't need an OS and I'm saving money for a monitor, preferably around 150-200. Any suggestions?

also, my new computer won't boot up if the ram is in dual channel, does anyone know what might be wrong?

TRENDING THREADS