Sign in with
Your question

Recycling a laptop LCD Display?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 2, 2011 1:20:40 AM

Hello everyone! I recently got my hands on an HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop. It was sadly a victim of terrible overheating, due to design flaws in the model its self. I can get it to turn on every once in a while, but that's beside the point, because the computer is pretty much fried. What I want to do is use the Display as a second monitor on my desktop system.

First off, I don't know if its even possible. I've taken apart laptops before, but I don't know how the wiring or anything would work. What I was wanting to do is see if I can wire the cords from the display to a VGA adapter I have, and then connect that to an external video card.

Has anyone done this before? Or is this a farfetched idea that will generate many lulz?

Please don't mock me if it sounds ridiculous. I just see this perfectly fine, widescreen display sitting here. And I want it.

Thanks for any insight in advance :) 
June 2, 2011 3:11:47 AM

Well I went ahead and took apart the laptop, and now have the monitor separated from it. There are 5 cables:

One I know goes to the webcam.

Another I know goes to the speakers.

There are two, connected, with connectors that look like tiny dots. Very very small, labeled 1 and 3

And the last one I think is my best bet. It has a bar-like connector (slightly resembling a Sata) that is wrapped in a black cloth. Inside are lots of tiny wires. I think this, combined with the two "dot" connectors, are power and visuals.

Any ideas?
m
l
June 2, 2011 3:31:06 AM

Ah, well I seem to have neglected to mention that I found mainly old information on Google...now I feel like an idiot, thanks. Well let me put this here:

I understand about Tft controllers.
I understand laptop lcd screens are mainly proprietary.
I understand it would be almost cheaper to buy a new monitor and leave it at that.

I'm trying to find newer information on the subject. Is there a way to bypass a controller and do direct wiring/soldering? Or can I leave the Screen attached to the laptop video card and do it that way?

I really didn't mean to seem like another non-googling jackass, sorry. I'm smarter than that, I promise :) 

EDIT: Well here is my revised plan. I'm going to connect cables from the LCD back to the main body individually, then power it on, until I find the right combination of cables.
m
l
!