Heat and Vcore Voltage Question

rustyd79

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
Having a sudden heat issue and a Vcore question and I really hope I am in the correct forum.

1st, I am worried about the liquid cooling kit. I can't really tell if it's working or not which if not, would explain some of the heat. Just playing an MMO (Rift until Nov 20th ;) ), I was at 90c on all 4 cores (panic!).
* Had to edit this; I'm always hot, so the ambient temp in here is usually 65-68f or so.*

2nd, look at the Vcore voltages on the speedfan image.

1.39v and 2.70v?? Is that right, or should it be different?
I'm thinking something is messed up but I don't know where to even begin trying to figure this out.

Detals:

No OCing done. It's a Cyberpower build rig.

My specs are in my sig, but I have:
i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu + Intel Smart Response Technology **(have a 40 GB Intel 320 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC as Cache)
Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2
Maximum 120MM Case Cooling Fans for your selected case
CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclcking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA)
8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Kingston HyperX)
2X AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Cards (HIS IceQ X Turbo 840MHz)

So far...

I downloaded Speedfan for the heat (was getting 90c!) Here is what I saw:

SpdFan.jpg

And HWMonitor is a bit different:
HWMon.jpg

To be honest, I have no idea what to do or even if there is a problem.

If anyone can help point me in the right direction, it would be sincerely appreciated because at this point... I am lost and do not know what other info may be needed here.

Thanks for your time :)

There are a lot of issues being posted about gigabyte z68 and 3rd party monitors reporting correct vcore. I would recommend using the gigabyte program that came with your mobo: easytune6. But the core temps are being reported correctly and it looks like you need to reseat the cooler.

You could get cpuz and see what your speed is.

rustyd79

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

My speed is odd... it fluctuates between 1604Mhz and 3510Mhz with the multiplier swapping from x16 and x35 accordingly. I'm fairly certain this is a bios setting, but as for which one - no idea.

I opened the case and checked where the water cooling unit connects. It seems ok.
What does Not seem ok is that I have never been able to determine if the liquid cooling kit is working.

On the bottom hose, right where it connects to the CPU, I see bubbles at the top with no indication of movement.
Is there some downloadable program I am missing that can monitor a liquid cooling kit? I don't even know what brand other than the description that I posted.

This system is not very old at all, few months or so. But from day 1, I've yet to be able to see anything at all indicating that the water is actually flowing.

Now here is something that I may or may not be imagining. On the front of the Haf-X, there is a resivior showing the liquid. I seem to recall that when I got this system, it was lit up so I could simply look down and see the level. My wife says it was not so I don't know now...

Finally, just a bit of info about me personally which is making all of this very frustrating:
I think I may have gotten in over my head with this system. I used to be a programmer so when I bought it, I thought I knew it all. But as my memory deteriorates due to parkinson's, even updating a driver is a scary prospect and I've done that hundreds of times in the past. So, the help received in this forum and the entire site is absolutely invaluable. Thank you!