kevinp4966

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Umm i have a question regarding cooling.. I am planning on Replacing my aging AMD with a new intel build..

IM considering modding the Antec case, and going down the route of passive watercooling.. Im not sure how effective it will be though. The reason for going down the route of passive water cooling is that passive air coolers dont perform as i would like them too, active air cooling is inefficient aswell as noisy in most cases, and active watercooling is also rather noisy..

I was considering going for a totally silent Passive Convection setup but as stated i dont know if it will be efficient enough to cool the 2500k sufficiently t be able to make use of it in demanding games.. I would be using 2 passive radiators, some PrimoChill Pure Performance coolant, and a heavily modded case..

Specs:
Intel I5 2500k
8Gb Geil Evo 1866mhz
Evga Sli Z86 Motherboard
2x Evga Geforce gtx 560Ti in SLI mode
250gb OCZ revo
1tb Samsung Spinpoint
Samsung BluRay player
Antec 300 Case
OCZ ZX 850 PSU

Will the passive cooling setup be enough to cope with the temperatures and hold the cpu temps at arround 37-47c??

kevinp4966

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
nah not plannin to OC it.... im planning on removing the entive top cover of the case and replacing it with a radiator.... or if i have to il cut into the drive bays and use that space too.. so we talking about 2 square foot if my maths is as good as i think...

kevinp4966

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
nah not plannin to OC it.... im planning on removing the entive top cover of the case and replacing it with a radiator.... or if i have to il cut into the drive bays and use that space too.. so we talking about 2 square foot if my maths is as good as i think...

I think if i was clever about it i could get away with linking 2 radiators together without any losses in a simple loop... which should in theory be able to deal with temps of arround 60c....

I hav seen the NoFan C95... i have looked at that as a cheap alternative but it will take up too much space in the case. I think pulling it off is going to be a hard task.... but i can not stand the noise of the fans, and fans are unreliable in my experience...

kevinp4966

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
uhhhh according to this formula... (OC TDP÷stock TDP) = (19÷21) x (200÷133) x (1.3÷stock Vcore)2

id need a twin rad which would keep my temps at about 15c above ambient temps when idle and 23.8c under load...

ambient temps range from 5c-19c.. making the actual chip temp around 25c idle and 43c under load, which sounds about right where my AMD sits with my Tuniqe 120E so those theoretical results look promising.