Need help upgrading inspiron 530s

Hey guys,

I bought a Dell Inspiron 530s a few years ago. As I got more into gaming, I upgraded my graphics card to a visiontek radeon 4650 sff card and my CPU to a 3ghz core duo, in compete disregard of the fact that I had a 250w psu.

Inevitably, my psu recently fried, but because of the slim form factor of my case, the only psu available is dell's 250w one. I need to have a working computer pronto, and I have a slim budget, so my questions are these:

Is it safe to buy another identical psu and use that untill I can upgrade my computer?

If not, can someone recommend me some products to make a smooth and cheap transition to a larger case? (what psu, case, motherboard, etc I should buy)

As I'm currently posting this on an iPod, I can't find out what exact components I have, but i need to keep my hard drive (the 250gb sata 3.0 one that came with the computer), I'd like to not have to buy a new cd drive, and I enjoy the card reader that comes with the inspiron 530s.

Thanks for helping.
3 answers Last reply
More about need upgrading inspiron 530s
  1. Check newegg.com. They have all sizes and shapes of power supplies. click on "more" for your category under atx or micro atx, etc selections.
  2. I had an Inspiron 530S and I dont remember having a card reader :<
    Anyway, for something really cheap and temporary, find a cheap ATX case on your local trading website like kijiji or craiglist and a good 500w psu for future upgrades. Don't buy another 250w PSU because you will eventually need to buy a new PSU later.

This is exactly what I did btw.
  3. I bought this one from PointTek which is 400W and its been running non-stop for more than 8 months by now.

http://pointtek.ecrater.com/p/8716434/400w-tfx-replacement-dell-power

Best of all... tons more connectors.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components