Sign in with
Your question

CD/DVD problem when installing win 7 plz help

Last response: in Systems
August 6, 2011 3:22:46 AM

Hi i have built my own pc and have finished it and have purchased the windows 7 64 bit OEM version. When i click install it comes up cd/dvd device driver missing and i dont know what to do please please help. Thanks

Asus motherboard
AMD tri core processor
6gb ram (3 x 2 gb sticks)
500gb hardrive

Thanks for you help i advance.

p.s. if you need to know more about my system to diagnose the problem then please ask and also is the OEM version the correct version for people who have built their own system?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2011 6:20:27 AM

I have used the OEM version on several builds recently. Yes, that Will work fine.

A couple of things to check when installing windows 7. Is your DVD drive connected to a Sata 5 or 6 port that is set to AHCI or RAID mode? If the CD/DVD drive is connected to a port that is set to IDE mode in BIOS, then you may have a faulty drive or faulty cable. Reset the cables and try again. If it is not, then connect it to Sata 5 or 6 and follow the instructions from the next paragraph.

Ifthe CD/DVD drive is connected to a port that is set to AHCI or RAID, then that is most likely the problem with the missing CD/DVD device driver. Connect your CD/DVD drive to Sata 5 or Sata 6 and then make sure that Sata 5/6 is set to IDE mode in BIOS (You can have your other 4 Sata ports set to AHCI or RAID. In fact I would recommend AHCI if your not using a RAID array). Then, while you are installing Windows, make sure to install the AHCI or RAID drivers for your mother board from the motherboard support CD. After you have Windows 7 fully installed, you can set the Sata 5/6 ports back to AHCI or RAID and it will still work.

If this doesn't work then post the full specs. on your system so that we can get a better idea of what might be happening (esp. motherboard, CPU and CD/DVD drive model an additional info about AHCI or RAID settings). Hope this helps.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 6, 2011 5:55:03 PM

Do you realize your using an Intel memory kit on a AMD system?

Your losing some performance that way.
August 13, 2011 12:41:51 AM

JKatwyopc said:
I have used the OEM version on several builds recently. Yes, that Will work fine.

A couple of things to check when installing windows 7. Is your DVD drive connected to a Sata 5 or 6 port that is set to AHCI or RAID mode? If the CD/DVD drive is connected to a port that is set to IDE mode in BIOS, then you may have a faulty drive or faulty cable. Reset the cables and try again. If it is not, then connect it to Sata 5 or 6 and follow the instructions from the next paragraph.

Ifthe CD/DVD drive is connected to a port that is set to AHCI or RAID, then that is most likely the problem with the missing CD/DVD device driver. Connect your CD/DVD drive to Sata 5 or Sata 6 and then make sure that Sata 5/6 is set to IDE mode in BIOS (You can have your other 4 Sata ports set to AHCI or RAID. In fact I would recommend AHCI if your not using a RAID array). Then, while you are installing Windows, make sure to install the AHCI or RAID drivers for your mother board from the motherboard support CD. After you have Windows 7 fully installed, you can set the Sata 5/6 ports back to AHCI or RAID and it will still work.

If this doesn't work then post the full specs. on your system so that we can get a better idea of what might be happening (esp. motherboard, CPU and CD/DVD drive model an additional info about AHCI or RAID settings). Hope this helps.

Thanks JKatwyopc, i totally forgot lol much appreciated
!