MSI 990FXA-GD80 freezing, odd behavior and odd behavior help!

DasCondor

Honorable
Jul 30, 2012
I recently built a new PC with the following specs:

CPU: AMD FX-4170 black edition Zambezi 4.2GHz
GPU: ASUS HD7770-2GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 2GB 128-bit GDDR5
MOBO: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 timing: 9-9-9-24
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W with +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V@50A, -12V@0.5A, +5Vsb@2.5A
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue RFHWD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM
Optical: none installed.

Upon initial boot everything seamed fine until I tried to launch a game. When ever I launched a game, the entire system would hang, no BSOD, mouse response, keyboard, anything forcing a hard restart. After inspecting the event viewer I found nothing, there was no information about the freeze.

I turned to the PSU first. It turned out that the one I originally got wasn't big enough so I RMAed it for the one above.
Also I RMAed the RAM I got for the one above, as it was low voltage, and my board is supposed to only support 1.5v (i dont know if this matters but all the same)

After getting new PSU and RAM, still freezing on game launch, or 1-3 min in.

next I started testing the RAM. One stick at a time, and using widows ram integrity test. everything was fine. still freezing.

HDD checks out on integrity check as well.

Then I turned to GPU. I ran multiple GPU stress tests, futuremark, and 3dmark. Everything was fine, my GPU ran smoothly and cool at 100% load for up to 10-15min. I tried multiple drivers, CCC 12.5, 12.6 beta, and 12.7 beta. still freezing. Finally I swapped cards with a friend, and saw the same freeze every-time I launch a game.

I have also tried multiple CMOS resets, and reinstalling windows.

All my temps are cool, 30-35c main board, 40c CPU, 35-40c CPU. With a little higher under load.
All my dirvers are up to date as well.

The final development came just a few hours ago. My board has a row of lights along the top, for DIMM slots filled and CPU power phase, and another small one by the CMOS battery. Before when I booted these lights would come on blue and stay on. Recently however, the top lights would flash, and then stay off before the system posted. Also the lower light, is now red and flashes. Finally on my last few tries to boot, I got a series of three beeps, and the system failed to post. All the fans come on, but I get nothing other than these three beeps and black screen.

I looked this beep code up and it means either:
DXEIPL was not found
or
DXE Core Firmware Volume was not found

I googled this and found nothing of substance, I dont know what this means! Please help!

I would really like to save this board, but if its dead does anyone have any recommendations for a AM3+ ATX board?

Thanks!

PCSpartan

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Update your bios to an applicable version (*note: don't necessarily use the latest version, because it isn't good to flash backwards). Start with the next version of bios then the one currently installed.

1. First download a program to view your current bios version (if you are unable to locate in the bios screen itself, first):
This is a good application: http://www.filehippo.com/download_cpuz/download/58504fc88bd1255bbe76d80ee3e0d0d3/

2. Obtain a USB thumb drive, wipe it completely clean of any other files, and format into FAT32 file format.

3. Go here for bios update and follow the instruction manual (e.g. "About how to flash the BIOS, please refer to BIOS flash SOP"):
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA-GD80.html#/?div=BIOS

4. Print the "BIOS flash SOP" and read a few times to completely understand what youre about to do.

5. Open the bios folder and copy all of the contents and paste into the USB thumb drive.

6. Reboot system and enter bios screen and follow the instructions of the "BIOS flash SOP".

Your computer should now be good.

kineticman

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011
I wouldn't recommend flashing to the 13.1 BIOS unless you're using Win8 (and it looks like you're not). If you create a username and password on the MSI forums you can access their beta BIOS versions here: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=163878.0

I'm using a 990FX-GD80 V2 and had a ton of problems until I flashed to the 11.14B7 BIOS. But then again my problems were related to my CPU (Vishera 8350), and yours sound entirely different... I would actually wager that your board is defective if flashing BIOS doesn't work. As PCSpartan said, try staring with a lower BIOS and working your way up.

itayzfira

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

hi
have you found a solution to the problem ?
i think i have it too..

morphious1971

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I have this same board for the last 3 1/2 yrs. and i know it like the back of my hand, maybe i can help.
first is the machine overclocked at all ? and if it is please tell me what the voltages are set to.
also are you using the xmp memory profile on ? or is the xmp off but you have the ram set to link or unlink ?
whats the current cpu features in the bios options set to?
reason im asking is this board has hidden cpu voltages, due to the first thing you do in your bios or not.