9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
i'm working on building my first computer and i am no stranger to technology. I would like to know some performance specs for gaming and if the parts are compatible.i wont be over clocking . my budget without input devices is between 700-1100 . this build is for gaming purposes and it needs to be able to play battlefield 3 and crysis on high settings . cpu : $185 AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition.graphics card : $360 2 x radeon hd 6850's . ram : $69 g.skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Kit.motherboard : $115 ASRock 970 Extreme4 Motherboard. hard drive : $65 Seagate ST31000524AS Barracuda .disc drive : $79 LG CH10LS20 BluRay Combo power supply : $85 CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 650W. case : $ 60 Sharkoon T5 total : $1004

I think, if you do some more research, you will see that you might be better of using a Phenom II X4, like the 965, are better for gaming then the Phenom II X6 1090T.

It appears that games seem to only support 4 cores

Drohz

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
honestly with everything coming out (GPU's quarterly) constantly, you might want to wait closer to the date to figure out what you're getting, the prices of everything will be a lot cheaper next year also.

The Coolermaster PSU is perhaps a notch above junk. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands.
I agree that you will likely not see a benefit from six cores, especially if they are slower. Your 900-series chipset mobo will allow an upgrade to Bulldozer later if you turn out to need it.
The AMD Black Edition CPUs are very easy to overclock. I'm not crazy about high ones (preferring to run cooler and use less power), but running my 970BE at 3.8GHz just took a simple multiplier change, no added voltage, and it idles around 31C and loaded still tends to remain under 50C (not counting stress-testing; Prime95 gets it to around 53C-54C.

A couple years ago, I might have agreed, but not now. I would not care to predict prices next year. With the economy in the US in a delayed-meltdown and the parasites trying to print their way out of the problem (it never works), the cost of imported goods may skyrocket as people begin to realize our dollar is just a piece of paper. Buy quality parts while you can, as they could easily become unavailable or unaffordable.