Sign in with
Your question

Pc not turning on, very strange

Last response: in Components
November 3, 2011 10:31:20 PM

How's it going guys.

Last year I built a pc by using parts from my old pc in my new one.
After building it would not turn on and a high pitched noise was coming.
I thought the motherboard was doa so I returned and the new one did the same thing.

I soon realized that if I left my pc plugged in for 5 minutes it would turn on.
The system turned on fine instantly, with an older motherboard ram and cpu and cpu cooler
So I am just waiting 5 minutes everytime I start my new system.

Now my issue is that after a power outage the pc continued to make the high pitched noise, but now it does not turn on.

I'm thinking the powersupply is shot or cannot take the load of the newer cpu cooler and motherboard cpu ram.

I'm gunna pick up a new power supply tommorow, anybody think it could be any different?

More about : turning strange

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 3, 2011 10:45:49 PM

I/we will need some system specs in order to agree or disagree with your assessment.
cpu
board make and model
psu model number, wattage and brand
video card(s) in any and again make and model
hdd and optical
memory brand and model number and voltage.
waiting patiently :sleep: 
m
l
November 4, 2011 12:12:00 AM

suteck said:
I/we will need some system specs in order to agree or disagree with your assessment.
cpu
board make and model
psu model number, wattage and brand
video card(s) in any and again make and model
hdd and optical
memory brand and model number and voltage.
waiting patiently :sleep: 

Intel 930

Sabertooth x58

Silverstone 600w modular powersupply

Evga gtx 285gb

One 500 gb , one 750gb

6gb ddr3

Cpu cooler, coolermaster v8

Old system parts
Intel e8400
P5q pro
3gb ram
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2011 1:07:54 AM

The gtx 285 alone will use as much as 395 watts during peak performance so if you've had it running a lot in gaming it might have worn the psu out. That might be another reason for the delayed starts you were seeing. Now that I've seen your specs I would agree that it's time to replace you psu with something a little bigger. Silverstone is usually a quality brand but if you look at the newegg reviews - old I know but so is the psu - there seemed to be problems, mostly with the fan and noise. Are you sure it was the motherboard that was making that noise? Gotta ask after reading the reviews. And if you're doing any overclocking that will be sucking a few more amps out also. 130w at normal max and if you overclock just some it would probably go up another 20 or 30 watts for a small overclock. 144 watts for an overclock of 3.2 GHz. And with that and minimum system set up 1 hdd, 1cd/dvd, 2 fans, your gtx285 and nothing else it comes up to 550w. So you're pretty close. I know you didn't mention overclocking but with the better cooler you have I figured it was likely.
m
l
!