Spyder-Si

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I've never posted on these forums before but over the past 6 months have found an incredible amount of useful information, now I need some real help!

Whilst lining up on the grid in iracing this evening my PC suddenly made a buzzing noise, monitors went black and the system crashed. Upon hitting the reset button the computer kept trying to boot but turning back off after a couple of seconds.

My initial thought was that one of my two gtx580s had died so I tried booting with each one individually installed but got the same failure to boot. Next up I thought it must be the PSU, a 1000w OCZ gold that I fitted a couple of months ago at the same time as I added my second gtx580. After swapping back to my previous OCZ 700 and leaving one gpu in place the system boots but there is no signal going to my monitor. I have tried each gtx580 and every port (2xdvi and hdmi) and tried both pci-e slots with each... No input signal on the monitor still!!

I'm at a real loss now, seems like the 1000w OCZ is faulty but does the fact that I can't get a picture on my monitor indicate both gtx580s are fried?!

The rest of my specs are 8gb ddr3 ram, gigabyte ud4 and i5 2500k.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

SolidSnake3035

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Are you plugged directly into the wall or do you have a surge protector or professional power conditioner that you plug in to?

I'm not sure how much power two 580s pull but I could imagine that if they're at the limits of the PSU and you were plugged into the wall and some other device on your circuit kicked on it could have lowered the voltage enough to cause some damage. I'm not sure if OCZ PSUs have anything in place to prevent something like that.

ltrazaklt

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
this might help to calculate your PSU ..needs http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
also , as mentioned ..a good APC UPS , or surge protector is must ..depending on your local utility company and even your house wiring..you could be getting spikes you dont even realize. In my area , the local Electric Utility , cannot keep up with the growth in the area ..I get frequent spikes, brown outs , and blackouts. fairly constant surges ..that my UPS picks up all the time, and buzzes and beeps letting me know about it. Also in my older apartment, in older section of town, I have seen where the lights in place would literally grow brighter and dimmer. It turns out the wire from pole had gotten older and over time, the connection had loosen, and when the wind would blow and move the wire around on pole , it would surge or drop the current, causing all the lights in the place to grow brighter or dimmer. took a while to figure that one out too. and since your prolly have quite a bit money in your PC, you should invest in a good solid UPS, with high ratings, like an APC unit (used APC for your years at home and office, very solid reliable) ..most of those 'power strip' connectors are not much more than extension cords imho. hope this helps

Possibly. I would try a new GPU if you can and if it also does not give display out (basically not post) then move to other parts. For the mobo, try resetting the BIOS to default by clearing the CMOS.